What "must do" excursions? we aren't drinkers or shoppers

Panama at last

I am so excited to finally have my husband agree to a Panama Canal cruise. It's something I have wanted to do my whole adult life.

We will be doing the partial transit in February, 2015 from Fort Lauderdale. I want to see as much of Panama and the Canal as possible. Shopping and drinking don't appeal to us. What are the must do's?

Edited by Panama at last

I want to see as much of Panama and the Canal as possible. Shopping and drinking don't appeal to us. What are the must do's?

Since seeing as much of the Canal as possible is high on your list there is one particular tour that you may wish to consider. Different cruise lines have their own name for the tour, but what the tour involves is, once your cruise ship passes through Gatun Locks and reaches Gatun Lake, you will tender off the ship to begin your excursion. A bus will transport you to the Pacific side of Panama where you will board a smaller vessel. The smaller vessel will then take you through the two Pacific Locks and sail through Gaillard Cut. Upon reaching Gamboa you will reboard your bus for the return trip to your ship. While you were on your excursion your ship will have locked back through Gatun Locks and proceeded to Colon where you will rejoin the ship. Just a note, once in awhile the tour can operate in reverse beginning in Gamboa with transportation back to Colon from the Pacific side. Equally enjoyable.

The combination of your lockage through Gatun Locks in the morning and your partial transit on the smaller vessel through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut permits you to see some of the more interesting parts of the Canal as well as experiencing passing through the Locks on a large ship and then a smaller vessel as well. Provides an excellent side by side comparison of the operation.

There are other excellent tours as well such as a trip to the Embera Indians, but the tour mentioned above will give you the most Canal and you can see some of Panama as well.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

How about a tour out of Colon ? I want to see the canal workings, but ut seems like some of the reviews haven't been that good. Any thoughts ?

Are you on a transit or is your ship just making a full day port call? If you are making Colon a port of call, usually there is a tour available that will take you to Gatun Locks where there is an observation platform and someone to provide a narration of the operation. This tour will usually include a visit to observation center that overlooks the construction of the new Canal expansion locks. At the observation center for the new locks there is some audio/video presentations as well as place to purchase refreshments and such.

There could possibly be shore excursions that would include a visit to the Miraflores Locks on the Pacific side as well.

Are you on a transit or is your ship just making a full day port call? If you are making Colon a port of call, usually there is a tour available that will take you to Gatun Locks where there is an observation platform and someone to provide a narration of the operation. This tour will usually include a visit to observation center that overlooks the construction of the new Canal expansion locks. At the observation center for the new locks there is some audio/video presentations as well as place to purchase refreshments and such.

There could possibly be shore excursions that would include a visit to the Miraflores Locks on the Pacific side as well.

We are doing a transit, coming from the Pacific side, with a port call in Colon from 7-5.

Looks like your Colon port call will be the day following your transit, that should allow for a complete slate of tours. Don't be put off by the negative vibes about Colon... there really won't be anything in regards to tours that you will be doing in Colon. All of the shore excursion destinations are outside of Colon.

As far as seeing the workings of the Locks, the tours will either include Miraflores (Pacific side) or Gatun Locks (Atlantic side). Miraflores is set up as the show case locks with a museum, video presentations and such while Gatun Locks is more basic. Depending on how the excursions are structured, usually Miraflores is in addition to another destination on a tour that goes to the Pacific side, such as Panama City or the Railroad. I have not seen Miraflores connected with a stop at the Observation Center for the expansion locks on the Atlantic side (that's not to mean it can't be offered, I just am not aware of it). So I really don't know if it is possible to do Miraflores Locks and the Expansion Locks center on a ship's excursion. Of course it would be possible if you privately arrange for a tour.

The good thing is you have a full day stop in Colon and will have plenty of ship's shore excursions to choose from or arrange for a tour on your own.