train from london to dover and 3 days in london

gobar

I am totally confused with this oyster card and travelcard stuff.

We will arrive in London on the 3rd and then leave for cruise out of dover on 6th. I need to get from Heathrow to wembley ( our hotel). Then we want to do sightseeing in london- we do want to visit greenwich( i don't know which zone it is) but the rest is in main london. Now I looked at opyster cards but I also looked at travel card which said that it included travel on national rail also. Does that mean that travel on rail from london to Dover is included in the travelcard? I read that the 1day cap on oyster is cheaper than 1 day travel card ( whatever the amount is I do not know) but if with Travelcard if roundtrip to Dover is inclusive then is that not a better deal?

Please help!

Most of Wembley is in Zone 4, (significantly away from the centre)

Greenwich is in Zone 2.

All the main sights are in Zone 1.

Zones radiate out from the centre of London.

Much depends on exactly where your hotel is in Wembley, I suspect your best bet is a Travelcard that covers Zones 1 to 4 that includes Greenwich and all the major attractions plus Wembley.

Heathrow is in Zone 6, and you can only use Travelcards on the London Underground of the main public transfer options from here.

Depending on how many there are of you I suspect your most pragmatic option is to prebook a taxi from Heathrow to Wembley (about 45 minutes).

By public transport you will need to go into London and come out again for Wembley.

The transfer to Dover isn't covered by any London Pass as Dover is far from London.

Oyster Card Pay As You Go carries a guarantee to be cheaper or at most the same price on a daily basis than Travelcard.

However Travelcard is worthwhile for many visitors to London in that it has a wide range of 2 for 1 admission deals which if you use far outweighs the slight price differential of these cards. Oyster has offers but not as far reaching than Travelcards.

Also if you use the overground railway the Travelcard is widely accepted while Oyster Cards are not on many. It doesn't really affect most visitors as they don't use the local,commuter trains much, the main notable exception is if you want to visit Hampton Court where the trains accept Travelcard but not Oyster Card

When I go to or from Dover, I get the train. Lst time was in April from Dover priory Station to Charing Cross and cost £22 one way buying the ticket just before I got on. They run about every 30 minutes and takes about 2 hours. It is only about 5 or 10 minutes from Dover priory Station to the Cruise terminal. You may find the train tcket is cheaper if you book in advance and commit to a specific train time. (I didn't do this as I wasn't sure what time I'd be getting off and we got off 3 hours earlier than i expected to). I believe their is also a coach fdrom London to Dover but I didn't look in to this as I hate travelling by bus/coach, other than short journeys accross town.

Archived