Tulum / Xcaret on a Sunday

jzc8n4

I'm staying in Cozumel for a little over a week. This last Sunday with no cruise ships in port, it seemed EVERYTHING was closed. Luckily we had booked a scuba dive which consumed much of our day.

I have a car and was thinking of taking the ferry to Playa Del Carmen this Sunday to go to Tulum / Xcaret or both. This begs a few questions:

1) Are the ruins at Tulum "open" to tour on Sunday? I can't find a confirmation of this, and I would hate to drive all the way there to find out it is closed.

2) Are there specific hours for Tulum? If so, what time does it open?

3) Does it work well to do Tulum and Xcaret in the same day, or is Xcaret more of an all-day thing?

4) Am I better off to take my car over on the ferry and drive, or just ride the ferry to PDC and find transportation from there? (No cruise ships in port, so not sure if anyone will even be out in PDC.)

Thanks,

The Playa del Carmen (Riviera Maya) area really has NOTHING to do with the cruise traffic in Cozumel. There are many, many resorts that supply hundreds of thousands of people to the area every day. Everything will be open on Sundays. As far as the hours, sorry I can't help, but I can tell you that doing both in one day would not be worth it because of the cost to get into XCARET. You "could" do both, but XCARET is better with a whole day to get the most out of your money. Tulum will take a couple hours at the most unless you are really, really into it. There's a nice little beach there, so you could extend your stay if you want some beach time.

One thing to remember is that Sundays are local "family" days and there will be alot of locals in town and on the beaches. Sundays are pretty lively in the Playa del Carmen area.

If I'm not mistaken the "car" ferry docks at Calica and not Playa, so you would be taking two different ferrys depending on whether or not you take your car. Calica is VERY close to XCARET, but I'm not sure of the taxi situation there as that ferry transports people with vehicles. You could easily find a taxi or driver for the day for Tulum or Xcaret in Playa, OR you could take the Collectivo (public transportation) for a couple of bucks each.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo