Wheelchair accessible tour of Los Angeles

sueart46

Our cruise ends in LA and our flight home isn't until 10:00 PM so we are looking for a tour (other than the one through the cruise line). Does anyone know of a company which can accommodate us? We are hoping to leave our bags at the airport and be picked up and dropped off there for our tour. I posted this on the disabled cruiser's board and was advised to try this board. Thanks.

Of course under the ADA, any tour company that offers tours in LA must also offer accessible transportation at no additional cost. You may want to consider this company which offers tours from LAX:

http://www.lacitytours.com/Layovers.asp

I called them and was told they do not have any w/c accessible buses and they know nothing about having to provide one. I guess the ADA hasn't reached LA yet!

Thanks for your help. I'll keep trying to find something.

This is a tricky one and not a lot of options, but here's some:

#1 The only company that offers wheelchair lifts is CoachUSA - 800/828-6699. Very nice people, but also they only leave from Anaheim (far from LAX) and their tours all leave at 8:45 AM.

There is an LA By Night City Tour, but that goes from about 3 PM to 10:30 PM.

#2 A super super nice company that will pick you up at LAX or a nearby hotel is Amazing LA Tours - 310/587-2211

www.amazinglatours.com

They are so great, nice and accomodating. If you don't actually need a wheelchair lift per se, then they would be more than happy to help and work with your arrangements.

#3 Renting a wheelchair accessible car or van from one of the car rental agencies and doing your own tour. I have several I've written up for people on these boards.

Also one more thing to realize and consider...

You can't leave your bags for an extended period of time at LAX. Security reasons now. So, you will need to make arrangements to fit them on the bus or van with whatever you decide.

Your other option might be to just get a cheap hotel room in Santa Monica for the day. Store your bags, and spend your day roaming around The Santa Monica Pier, The Park, Third Street Promenade, etc.

That's a whole day until itself, and only about 20 to 30 minutes back to LAX at that time of night.

Hope this helps in some way.

CJW

Call them back. Ask to speak to the manager. Refer to ADA section 37.189 Service requirement for OTRB demand-responsive systems. They are required to provide equal transportation for someone with a wheelchair, even if this means they have to contract out the vehicle.

If you don't get satisfaction, file a DOT ADA complaint. You can also talk to someone at the Westside Independent Living Center about this. They may be able to advocate for you, and assist you with any complaint process.

Archived