Do NZ taxis take credit cards?

castaway562

Trying to estimate my cash needs.

As noted in the live/blog below, we did cabs in both Wellington and Auckland earlier this year. Used credit cards there. Things worked fine. Clearly check ahead before starting a cab use to confirm their accepting credit cards.

Check out the postings below on my live/blog for more info/background on these many different ports, tour options, visuals, etc.! Happy to answer any questions. Just go the live/blog, post there and I will be happy to respond and share more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 80,342 views for this fun posting.

Since Terry has travelled to NZ and Aust some things have changed regarding credit card usage. From August in Australia and I believe from October in New Zealand you will need a PIN number for most transactions. From these boards I understand US banks do not necessarily provide this service for their customers, so it might be worth doing some checking on this.

Hopefully a NZ resident will give you a response on how their new system is being implemented as I understand in some businesses they may still allow signatures under certain circumstances.

Since Terry has travelled to NZ and Aust some things have changed regarding credit card usage. From August in Australia and I believe from October in New Zealand you will need a PIN number for most transactions. From these boards I understand US banks do not necessarily provide this service for their customers, so it might be worth doing some checking on this. Hopefully a NZ resident will give you a response on how their new system is being implemented as I understand in some businesses they may still allow signatures under certain circumstances.

Appreciate this excellent, heads-up from Elise. YES, the rules are changing on credit cards and things have been slower here in the United States to be adapted. I have one debit card with a pin number. OK to use that one, if needed Another card has a chip, but we don't have to do a pin number when using here, currently.

We are getting ready for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. Elise's comment is a very helpful and good reminder about checking those "details" before we start this "adventure" in early 2015.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 159,614 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

Just to note, in Australia the pin rule does not apply to international cards. They will still work without a pin, but plenty of shops are confused by this rule and will possibly insist that you need a pin. Just to make it nice and confusing for everyone :)