Dry Dock - Singapore

bernie110984

Hiya,

I am going to be doing dry dock in Singapore for 5 weeks from October to early November. To anyone that has been, or has had dry dock there, are there any recommendations of things to do or see. I would muchly appreciate it... as dry dock can be long and boring, but the plus side is we get to explore and stay in one place!!!!

Emma

http://bernieblabber.blogspot.co.uk

Edited by bernie110984

Bernie110940 - which cruise ship & itinerary is it that places in Singapore, for a dry dock for 5 weeks?

If you want ideas on what to do in Singapore or places nearby, then I think I can help you out, eg, a lot of people only think of what to do in Singapore (and yes there are heaps of things to do in Singapore), however, some people never think of doing a quick side trip to either Bintan Island or Tioman Island.

There is a fast ferry run from Singapore out to Bintan Island, where there are some very nice resorts.

Then for Tioman Island, its a short flight over to a very nice island, some great beaches, excellent resorts, etc.

Hya,

I will be working on the Voyager of the Seas, which will be undergoing an extensive dry dock in Singapore after the Asian season and before the Australian season.

Great idea about going further afield! The most I would get would be a full day off every now and again, so Bintan Island sounds like it could work. It looks stunning too!

Not quite sure where in Singapore the dry dock will take place... i'm sure I could find out with some quick research!

Hi Bernie - seeing your working on the cruise ship, which goes into Dry Dock in Singapore, you are really limited to what days/time off you will have for general sightseeing. Yes, Tioman Island would be out of the question, however, there is always Bintan for a day or two.

But then again, there is a lot to see & do in Singapore. Here is a list that I often give to people, on what to do & see in Singapore -

* Singapore National Museum (if you do go there check out "Singapore Stone" the oldest piece of history on hand, with ancient Javanese writing, which is hard to decipher)

* Singapore Flyer/Gardens by the Bay/Marina Bay Sands Hotel & shops below on various concourses/National Science Museum (a must), Singapore Flyer, what about a visit to Tiger Beer Brewery. If like a long walk, try "Kent Ridge Walk" which takes you down towards Harbourfront.

Just type in "What to see & do in Singapore" on your computer, you will amazed of what is on offer. One place I like is bushwalking at Bukit Timah Nature Reserve or MacRithie Reservoir

I enjoy the different types of cuisines in Singapore- Indian, Chinese, Thai,

etc.

Visit the station ticket office of the nearest MRT station, purchase the Ezi-Link Card (from memory $10SGD's) it will come with a small balance to get you going, however, you go the Card dispensers at the MRT stations, to top up the balance. You can also use the Card on buses (once again, similar to the MRT rail stations - you swipe the card as you get the bus & again when you get off, the reader at the MRT stations exits or the reader on the bus, which give you a balance when leaving the station or bus.

If your interested in WW2 sites, go into the city & walk up into Fort Canning Park, and on the upper circular walk, you will come across a steel door with tropical vegetation hanging down, this is the entrance to "Battle Box" the last bastion of English/Australian generals just before the fall of Singapore to the Japanese Army.