Livorno to Pisa and Lucca

Venusian

I'm stopping in Livorno on my NCL cruise and I want to do Pisa and Lucca. Reading on this forum both seem doable in a day. Any suggestions on the order?

Looks like the train from Livorno to Lucca stops in Pisa anyway. Could we just stop and do it on the way to Lucca or is it better on the way back? I doubt there is a difference but wanted to check.

Thanks!

I like to go to the farthest point first.

We took a cab to the train station in Livorno and bought round trip tickets to Lucca and took the train to Lucca, changing in Pisa Centrale.

We spent a couple of hours in Lucca and then took the train back to Pisa and got off one stop before Pisa Centrale and walked to Pisa. We had bought tickets to climb the tower online before we left home. We spent a couple of hours in Pisa before we walked back to the Pisa Centrale station and caught a train back to Livorno. Then we caught a cab back to the port.

A fun and not too costly day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

Have done this and it is a very easy day trip to do OYO. Personal preference on these types of days is to do the farthest point first so that you are returning from the closer point at the end of the day. Enjoy Lucca it is a unique fully walled city.

Purchase your Leaning Tower admission on line direct from LT website. Dont just turn up as booked out days in advance . Admission is date and time specific.

Take the tarin from Livorno to Lucca first, involves a change in Pisa Centrale.

Returning from Lucca alight at Pisa Rossore (one station before Pisa Centrale ) for the Leaning Tower & Field of Miracles .

Thanks for all the help.

Reading on here it sounds like we should budget more time for Lucca than Pisa but I need to by the tower tickets for a specific time. Any thoughts on how long to budget for Pisa and returning to Loverno?

I like to go to the farthest point first.

We took a cab to the train station in Livorno and bought round trip tickets to Lucca and took the train to Lucca, changing in Pisa Centrale.

We spent a couple of hours in Lucca and then took the train back to Pisa and got off one stop before Pisa Centrale and walked to Pisa. We had bought tickets to climb the tower online before we left home. We spent a couple of hours in Pisa before we walked back to the Pisa Centrale station and caught a train back to Livorno. Then we caught a cab back to the port.

A fun and not too costly day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Viv08828,

How much the train ticket cost and taxi cab from Pisa to port?

Thanks,

Teddy

Hi teddy,

I really don't remember. Trenitalia has an English part of its website that has the train fares and schedules. Very useful for planning your day.

And I'm sorry but I can't remember what we paid from the port to the train station and back.

Edited by Viv0828

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

This is the trenitalia website in English. We copied down all the train times that we thought we might need so we kinda knew which train to select. We bought tickets to climb the leaning tower at a time we thought would fit. You have to check all your bags (backpack, purse) before you can climb. You can only buy tickets the 20 days before your climb.

http://www.opapisa.it/en/tickets/buy/

Edited by Viv0828

Hi teddy,

I really don't remember. Trenitalia has an English part of its website that has the train fares and schedules. Very useful for planning your day.

And I'm sorry but I can't remember what we paid from the port to the train station and back.

It's ok I am the same way probably worse!!

Personally, I would not try to visit both Lucca and Pisa on the same day. The train stations in both cities are located quite a distance from the main attractions. You definitely should take a taxi or bus from the Livorno cruise port to the Livorno central train station... That is a very long walk!

http://TuscanyItaly.ca