arcadia june 2005

seabourndt

Glad to have been able to post that link, but I hasten to add that they're not my pics - I just know where they are!

There's been a lot of discussion about whether Carnival was going to remove the Cunard-type funnel and replace it with a P&O-type funnel, but as far as can be seen from the photos this hasn't happened. Which seems a bit cheap to me, but then I suppose 99% of the passengers won't notice or care.

any idea if anyone can gain access to get those pics in venice or is it locked away.
As I understand it, those pictures were taken with a fairly long lens by someone who happened to be docked in the vicinity that day - that's why there's a limited selection of angles and the shape of the funnel is still unclear. I don't know of anyone who's been able to get arranged access into the shipyard itself.

Looking at the deck plan of Arcadia, they seem to have addressed some of the complaints that were registered against the HAL incarnations of the plan - self-serve laundries, additional public restrooms, etc.

Wonder how long until Princess receives a ship in this series of hull designs.

Michael

Well, to keep the post count going on this forum, here's some apparently new news, or at least new detail about Arcadia:-

P&O Cruises looks East

1/9/2004

P&O Cruises is introducing an Oriental and Asian fusion restaurant on board its newest ship, Arcadia, currently under construction at Fincantieri. Offering a contemporary blend of Indian, Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisine, The Orchid Restaurant will open in April next year when Arcadia enters service.

Drinks available from the adjoining Orchid Bar range from cold Oriental and Asian beers such as Tiger and Kingfisher to green teas.

P&O Cruises' links with Indian cuisine date back to the 1800s, when Indian employees are said to have introduced the first curry to Britain. Neal Martin, director of hotel services and entertainment, comments, ‘P&O Cruises has always celebrated its historical links with the East and the Orchid Restaurant brings that association bang up to date.’ It will be one of six dining alternatives, including a main formal restaurant, 24-hour buffet, open deck grill, café and fine dining restaurant.

The rest of the story is in Seatrade Insider (free registration required).

Archived