Safety on Cruise Ship Excursions in Puerta Plata area

tbmrt

We will be going on the Fathom to the DR soon and I am a bit apprehensive about being safe on the various ship excursions, especially the Dominican Fiesta which takes place in the evening.

We've traveled often and realize that danger can be anywhere. However, I've been reading that the Puerta Plata area is quite dangerous with many people looking to take advantage of tourists, robberies, etc.

Would appreciate input on this.

We will be going on the Fathom to the DR soon and I am a bit apprehensive about being safe on the various ship excursions, especially the Dominican Fiesta which takes place in the evening.

We've traveled often and realize that danger can be anywhere. However, I've been reading that the Puerta Plata area is quite dangerous with many people looking to take advantage of tourists, robberies, etc.

Would appreciate input on this.

Not sure where you are reading your info. We went into Puerto Plata during the day and felt safe. I don't think I would go at night. To be perfectly honest, there isn't that much to see. I rarely recommend that people stay in the cruise port area but in this case Amber Cove is a better option than Puerto Plata.