RSVP or Aquafest? (Alaska 2009)

sassy73

Hi first post:

My friend and I are planning to go on a at least semi gay cruise next year to Alaska. He is a gay man, I am a sraight woman, but he swears I was a gay man in a former life, lol. (You know the type.) Anyway, we are deciding between RSVP, (totally gay, accept for me, lol) and Aquafest where there would be activities for those in our group , but we would be wihin a mixed orienation cruise population.(both are on HAL) I saw the lineup for the RSVP cruise to Alaska in 07, and it was almost all acivities I found fun. I use a wheelchair, so I'm VERY used to being a minority in my life. My understanding is that the really raunchy stuff happens more at night. RSVP seems more esablished, and we like the ship more, but aquafest is a lot less money. For those who have been on RSVP, would you feel weird if there was a sraight person on board? (of course a totally accepting one who goes with the flow. ) Also, for those who have been to Alaska what is the wheather difference between late August and late September?

Thanks for any info provided

For those who have been on RSVP, would you feel weird if there was a sraight person on board? (of course a totally accepting one who goes with the flow. ) Also, for those who have been to Alaska what is the wheather difference between late August and late September?

You will not be the only straight person on board an RSVP cruise, and I am not taking about the crew either. Sometimes even a Mom is on board too.

I became friends with a lesbian early one morning when I went out to see whales and she was smoking (I made her stand down wind!) She was traveling with a lesbian couple and on one of the couple's straight sister was her roommate. We ended up hanging out with them quite a bit.

From what I have read, weather in Alaska is very unpredictable. Our RSVP cruise was the second week of September and it was cold in Juneau, very cold in Glacier Bay and then we hit sunny 70°F weather in Sitka and Ketchican. At the sailaway from both these places we were lying by the pool and even got a bit tan.

My last RSVP cruise to Alaska - I think I heard that there were at least 100 women aboard, and not all of them were gay.

I'd rather take the RSVP Cruise with HAL - RSVP brings their own entertainment aboard, and Millenium's pods are about due for an unscheduled breakdown...

We were on the same RSVP Alaska cruise. Have heard of Aquafest, but know little about them. All I can say is wheelchair or not, straight or not, you'll have the time of your life on the RSVP. Yeah, there can be a little raunch late at night, but you'll not likely be in the areas where it's going on. And if you like looking at hot men in flannel and jockstraps then girl, you're gonna have a field day. (And you'll be at eye level. I'm jealous.) And he wasn't kidding about the weather. We were on deck, by the pool in Sitka, in shorts. (But the day in Glacier Bay was BRRRRRR cold! Rain, freezing rain, ick! Holland America tradition: the crew serves hot split pea soup and cocoa to all the passengers out on deck viewing the glaciers.)

We were on the same RSVP Alaska cruise. Have heard of Aquafest, but know little about them. All I can say is wheelchair or not, straight or not, you'll have the time of your life on the RSVP. Yeah, there can be a little raunch late at night, but you'll not likely be in the areas where it's going on. And if you like looking at hot men in flannel and jockstraps then girl, you're gonna have a field day. (And you'll be at eye level. I'm jealous.) And he wasn't kidding about the weather. We were on deck, by the pool in Sitka, in shorts. (But the day in Glacier Bay was BRRRRRR cold! Rain, freezing rain, ick! Holland America tradition: the crew serves hot split pea soup and cocoa to all the passengers out on deck viewing the glaciers.)

Thanks boys for your replies.:) I also like looking a hot men in suits and tuxedoes, so I think I will like formal nights a lot. Love pea soup and cocoa, yum. My sister, 6, wants to get online, (I am 35) so better go attend to the little one. Thanks again!

So for those who were kept up at night by my thread. (a joke.) my friend and I decided on RSVP. I really, really want to thank all of you who wrote in, both about the wheather and the straights on the cruise. It was crucial in making our decision. AF is just too iffy for us, and we both want to feel comfortable, and I think on RSVP, we will be.

Thanks again everyone! Now onto planning. Exciting!

LOL! :D :eek:

Sassy, I think you made the right decision. RSVP is a very inclusive group.

I better have since it isn't cheap! I figure I would rather have a nice overall experience than a nice room. I can sleep well when I get home, lol. BTW, RSVP has been great customer service wise so far.

I better have since it isn't cheap! I figure I would rather have a nice overall experience than a nice room. I can sleep well when I get home, lol. BTW, RSVP has been great customer service wise so far.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

I was on the Carnival Elation that happen to have the aquafest group on it. They were a great group of people. Even though we had not booked through them, they were very inviting of anyone else who wanted to join in their activities.

We did an Alaska cruise with Aquafest in 2004 on HAL. We enjoyed being part of a small (120) gay group more than a mostly gay RSVP cruise (out of Ft. Lauterdale) the previous winter. And as you said, the cabin was $1,000 less!

The problem with RSVP (we thought) was 100% of the passangers wanted to do the same thing at the same time. So, every venue was always crowded!

Good luck with your decision.

Don

• 3 weeks later...
We did an Alaska cruise with Aquafest in 2004 on HAL. We enjoyed being part of a small (120) gay group more than a mostly gay RSVP cruise (out of Ft. Lauterdale) the previous winter. And as you said, the cabin was $1,000 less!

The problem with RSVP (we thought) was 100% of the passangers wanted to do the same thing at the same time. So, every venue was always crowded!

Good luck with your decision.

Don

I'll just mow eryone over with my chair. (kidding.) I decided that the everything just seemed set up better on the RSVP one. I honestly think my friend always wanted to do that one, but was afraid what I could afford and/or be comfortable with. I figure the worst that can happen is that I won't feel the need to go to the Castro as often as I do now for a bit.:)

Thanks everyone for your coments. I hope there is a roll call, and if there are any other SFers going, maybe we can do a meetup sometime next summer when it gets closer.

By the way, the customer service has been very superb at RSVP. I haven't decided who has the honor of helping me out on my cruise yet, and after I explained my situation they let me just book without giving a second name, and just told me to tell them no less than 30 days before the cruise who the second person will be. (If I don't know by then, I won't be going!) My dad is willing to accompany me if he must, but for obvious reasons, he would rather not. (He is not homophobic, but does think it is a bit odd his totally straight daughter is going on a gay cruise. However, he is really excited for me.)

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for your coments. I hope there is a roll call, and if there are any other SFers going, maybe we can do a meetup sometime next summer when it gets closer.

Roll Calls for gay charters happen here rather than on the general Roll Call boards. There is a thread started already: RSVP Alaska Cruise - Aug '09. That will most likely be the one that becomes a roll call.

By the way, the customer service has been very superb at RSVP. I haven't decided who has the honor of helping me out on my cruise yet, and after I explained my situation they let me just book without giving a second name, and just told me to tell them no less than 30 days before the cruise who the second person will be.

You friend hasn't booked yet? Tell him the gays say he has to get moving with it. :D

Archived