Snorkeling at Underwater Sculpture Park

vjhedward

We are wanting to snorkel at the Underwater Sculpture Park. We have our own gear and normally snorkel on our own (not through an excursion/tour). Is it possible to snorkel at the Sculpture Park on your own, or is it only available through a tour? If you can snorkel at the park on your own, what would be the best way to get there? Are there public buses that you could use to get there, or would you need to take a taxi or rental car?

We are wanting to snorkel at the Underwater Sculpture Park. We have our own gear and normally snorkel on our own (not through an excursion/tour). Is it possible to snorkel at the Sculpture Park on your own, or is it only available through a tour? If you can snorkel at the park on your own, what would be the best way to get there? Are there public buses that you could use to get there, or would you need to take a taxi or rental car?

You can access it from a bay further north of the sculptures but it is a considerable swim and the swim back is against the prevailing current. I would conservatively guess to swim there, round and back would be 1km swim and so would only be for the strongest swimmers. You need to pay a fee to enter the marine park and if diving you must by law go with a local operator.

All that said I would personally advise you go with an excursion or tour, especially ones that have voluntarily been instrumental in donating towards the development and maintenance of the park and the pieces there. They know where all the pieces are and the MPA fee (US$1 snorkeling/US$2 diving) is included in their tour price

Thank you for the information. What tour companies offer excursions to the park? I have read about Grenada Seafaris, and their tours start at $75. Are there other tour operators that you would recommend that might be more economical?

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the information. What tour companies offer excursions to the park? I have read about Grenada Seafaris, and their tours start at $75. Are there other tour operators that you would recommend that might be more economical?

Apologies for the delay in my reply.. I guess it depends if you simply want to snorkel the park or if you want to combine it with a lot of other sightseeing and information from a nautical perspective. Essentially my take on it is Seafaris have a lot of info, two massive engines for a fun ride and guided snorkeling for the price.

I would say snorkeling only then it would be less expensive as you go to one or two locations in close proximity to each other. In this case Eco-Dive would get my highest recommendation.

Hope you have a brilliant day regardless of who you choose.