Empress of the Sea - Havana, Cuba

I have a few questions regarding Havana, Cuba.

1. Approximately how long are the lines for currency exchange? Approx mins waiting?

2. From the time you step off the ship and able to shop on the local streets, how long does it take? Are you required to go through immigration first or afterwards before boarding the ship?

3. Are there any banks nearby to convert cash to their currency?

4. Has anyone visited an actual cigar factory or licensed cigar store? If so, how much per cigar on average?

5. How much Cuban Rum & cigars are we (per person) allowed to bring back to the United States?

6. Any recommendations on places to visit for eating or shopping near the pier?

7. For the ship excursions, do you meet inside the terminal or at the end of the pier?

8. On the tour offered by the ship, do they stop at some point to get a snack?

9. Lastly, is it safe to eat their food and have ice in the drinks. Another words, will we get sick like Mexico if we consume their food and ice?

Thank you very much in advance for the input. I will be traveling with the elderly members.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Time will vary with number of ships in port...we went to a bank in the old town...not far from the ship.

2. Customs first and then security...again depends on length of each line. Theres a huge market about 300-400 yards from the ship to the left when you exit the terminal.

3. Yes, but we came across one while doing a private walking tour and I didn't get its name.

4. Cigar factory was closed this past Sunday so we bought ours from a shop at the Hotel Nationale. We paid about 10 CUC each for Monte Cristos.

5. You are allowed 1 litre of rum duty free...you can buy more but will have to pay tax on it. You are allowed 100 cigars.

6. No idea as we had a full day private tour and were taken to a paladar near the cemetary.

7. We were told the ship tours met at the bottom of the 42 stairs after clearing immigration and security. I'm not sure as we didn't have a ship tour.

8. The 8 hour tour stopped for lunch...since there were 13 buses they stopped at different restaurants....this was told to me by our dinner tablemates.

9. We were told to not eat food from street vendors and to only drink bottled water and no ice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. Time will vary with number of ships in port...we went to a bank in the old town...not far from the ship.

2. Customs first and then security...again depends on length of each line. Theres a huge market about 300-400 yards from the ship to the left when you exit the terminal.

3. Yes, but we came across one while doing a private walking tour and I didn't get its name.

4. Cigar factory was closed this past Sunday so we bought ours from a shop at the Hotel Nationale. We paid about 10 CUC each for Monte Cristos.

5. You are allowed 1 litre of rum duty free...you can buy more but will have to pay tax on it. You are allowed 100 cigars.

6. No idea as we had a full day private tour and were taken to a paladar near the cemetary.

7. We were told the ship tours met at the bottom of the 42 stairs after clearing immigration and security. I'm not sure as we didn't have a ship tour.

8. The 8 hour tour stopped for lunch...since there were 13 buses they stopped at different restaurants....this was told to me by our dinner tablemates.

9. We were told to not eat food from street vendors and to only drink bottled water and no ice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your answers, we will be heading to Cuba Monday on an NCL ship. It is good to learn from others.