Puerto Madryn in March 2015

BOYNSEA

There are four of us on Celebrity Infinity in March, 2015. My question is about one of our stops, Puerto Madryn, Argentina. We are looking for a tour perhaps of Punta Tombo but we understand that it is quite a ride from the port and at that time of year (March 6, 2015) we are not sure it is worth the trip as all the penguins may have migrated away. We know there is also Peninsula Valdes but the same question arises...will the whales be plentiful or have they migrated. We would appreciate any help on deciding what to do at this port on that date. Also, I have read of many great tour guides for the area...Patagonia Shorex, South Excursions, Forasterotours, Nievemar, enpatagoniatours. My head is spinning, any serious kudos for one of these tours over another? Thanks for the help!

There are four of us on Celebrity Infinity in March, 2015. My question is about one of our stops, Puerto Madryn, Argentina. We are looking for a tour perhaps of Punta Tombo but we understand that it is quite a ride from the port and at that time of year (March 6, 2015) we are not sure it is worth the trip as all the penguins may have migrated away. We know there is also Peninsula Valdes but the same question arises...will the whales be plentiful or have they migrated. We would appreciate any help on deciding what to do at this port on that date. Also, I have read of many great tour guides for the area...Patagonia Shorex, South Excursions, Forasterotours, Nievemar, enpatagoniatours. My head is spinning, any serious kudos for one of these tours over another? Thanks for the help!

There are 4 of us on the same cruise & yes, my head is spinning too. Have you joined our roll call? There have been tours offered, but all snapped up.

We did the Nievemar tour of Peninsula Valdes, which was excellent. It was in January, so I cannot comment on the migration of wildlife.

I suggest you contact a tour agency and ask them.

Peninsula Valdes is a bit of riding, but you go to three sites. We saw it all in January.

We used South Excursions of most of our other Around the Horn tours and they were great as well. We used Nievemar since South Excursions was booked.

We saw penguins, up close, at Peninsula Valdes, as well as more penguins farther South in Chile.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Madryn and Valdes in early/mid March and in early December. From what I heard (in 2008/9) the penguin population as Punta Tomba has taken a tumble due to lack of fish there. It is quite a way south of Trelew which is south of P. Madryn (nearly100km if not more? bt at least it's paved now - not in 2003) There were penguin chicks in early Mach 2003. Mostly full grown but hadn't lost their feathers.

If you want to see Valdes instead, there's a colony that can be visited on the north side west of Punta/Punto Norte.

Hi

We're on the same cruise and have some of the same concerns. We've been told by friends this is the best place to see the Penguins. Have you found out anything further on migration and colony size in March. Since all the tours on our roll call forum have been snapped up I've been looking at the ones through the cruise ship which are open but quite expensive. Are you interested in arranging our own tour? We would.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My husband and I are from Naples, Florida. We are on the March 1st Infinity. We are looking to do a private tour with someone to share the expense. We like the private drivers so much better than the bus tours from the Ship.

If you have some idea of places to go and are also looking to share the ride, please let me know. We are starting to do our research.

Would love to hear from you. Where in South Florida are you from?

Vicki

A friend/tour guide of a friend who lives in Puerto Madryn suggested the El Pedral Safari as an alternative -- this is a walking tour to see elephant seals/penguins with lunch at the lodge (you'd need to check if it is good to do in March).

We decided to go ahead and do it. We'll be going in December, so no first hand experience one way or the other, but if anyone wants to check it out, here's the website: http://www.elpedral.com.ar/

Hi,

My husband and I are from Naples, Florida. We are on the March 1st Infinity. We are looking to do a private tour with someone to share the expense. We like the private drivers so much better than the bus tours from the Ship.

If you have some idea of places to go and are also looking to share the ride, please let me know. We are starting to do our research.

Would love to hear from you. Where in South Florida are you from?

Vicki

Hi--

We live just across the alley in Aventura, practically neighbors. Are you doing the B2B? Have you signed up for our Roll Calls yet? There are quite a few private tours posted there for Lima, Manta, Puerto Arenas which are good.

For now, we're on the ships Punta Tombo tour just to play it safe. But, very open to a private tour it's well recommended. My head is still spinning about the best port to view the penguins and if we're arriving too late in the season. Some on our roll call are going to view the colonies in Punta Arenas not in Puerto Madryn. But, as mentioned a friend recommended Puerto Madyrn is the place for viewing.

Vicki, here's my email if you would like to contact me directly, cruisingconnie@outlook.com

Connie