Should I worry about rough seas sailing around Ireland and Scotland on Wind Surf?

prfs62915

Hi! I am happy to be a new member of this forum. I am about to book a Gaelic Explorers cruise on Wind Surf, which will be my first cruise with Windstar. I am slightly worried about rough seas and would love to know how others have fared sailing on the Irish and North Seas.

I am having trouble deciding between the Staterooms on the 2nd or 3rd deck. Would the water splash up against the portholes on Deck 2? Is it more convenient and quieter being on Deck 3?

Any other input you think I should know about Wind Surf would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Dublin to Lisbon Windsurf in September and also am wondering about the ocean. Have you learned anything yet?

I will say that the last time we were on the ship, which sailed Rome to Venice, a couple who were on the 2nd level said they heard the waves lapping at the portholes at night. We did not experience any ocean sounds on level 3. We have loved our Windsdtar cruises. I hope you will, too.

Thank you for posting about your experience on the Windsurf, Laci's Dad!

The reason that I asked the question about the rough seas is because we heard a story about 30 ft seas in the North Sea on a cruise a few years back. The people reporting this story were friends of friends and they were not on a Windstar cruise. According to them the seas were so rough they had to stay in port and thus missed some of the stops that they were to make. I wondered if this was something that happens often or if they were just unlucky.

Laci's Dad, I think you will be fine going from Dublin south to Lisbon. It sounds like a great trip!

• 1 month later...

We'll be on this itinerary on Surf leaving in two weeks. When are you going to sail on her?

We were on Surf in the Bahamas back in Feb 2002. Our sail back to Ft. Lauderdale from Key West had 22 foot seas, and it was a bumpy ride. Not unbearable, but I don't remember whether we had green water showing in our porthole on deck three. We slept through the rough seas. :D

...Karl

We were on your Ireland, Scotland cruise last year and did not experience rough seas in the area you are worried about. You are not really that far into the North Sea, and stay fairly close to land. Having said this, it is still the ocean and not predictable. Lower and midships is always a safe bet if you are really worried. We experienced very little motion and were on deck 3.

KarlS, thank you for the information about sailing through high seas! It is reassuring to know that even with 22 ft seas that the Surf was pretty comfortable.

How exciting that your trip is so soon! We will be on the August sailing. If you have time when you return, I would love to hear how your trip went and if you enjoyed the port excursions. Safe Travels!

jimissi, thank you for responding. I was very glad to read that you had calm seas last year! Was there a particular port or shore tour that you enjoyed?

My husband and I are on the golf package, but I plan on skipping golf on 1 or 2 days as there are some sights that I do not want to miss.

Hi! My husband and I are on the same cruise! We are arriving on the 25th and will be in St. Andrew's, pre-cruise, for the golf package.

I have been meaning to post on the Roll Call about shore excursions. I don't want to over book myself and end up exhausted, but I hate to miss the sights, too! :-)

Looking forward to this adventure!

Pam

Hi Pam,

If you'll check the Roll Call for Wind Surf you'll find our posts for an excursion we booked for 6 people on Aug 31. It's a pick-up at 9:30 with a return to the ship at 4:30.

Another couple had expressed an interest but so far have not got back to me. There is an opening for 1 additional couple. If you're interested, please e-mail me asap @ hcopelan@msn.com.

Howard

Hi Pam,

If you'll check the Roll Call for Wind Surf you'll find our posts for an excursion we booked for 6 people on Aug 31. It's a pick-up at 9:30 with a return to the ship at 4:30.

Another couple had expressed an interest but so far have not got back to me. There is an opening for 1 additional couple. If you're interested, please e-mail me asap @ hcopelan@msn.com.

Howard

Please go to Wind Surf 8/27/14 Edinburgh-Dublin for the Roll Call for your cruise. Thanks.