Diving with Discoverer

Champlain

For anyone wanting to dive on a Discoverer cruise, we have learned what has to be done before the cruise. You must register as a diver with Silversea Reservations (Olivia in Ft. Lauderdale) and send a copy of your advanced diver card and your diver insurance card. There is no minimum, but a maximum of 16 divers. You must bring your own equipment, but tanks and weights are provided. You must bring your advanced diver card and insurance card and logbook to the ship. There are master divers onboard the ship. We handled all of this through our travel agent and it went very smoothly.

• 2 weeks later...

I can comment on the quality-diving in Micronesia is spectacular. The water is warm and clear and the fish and coral abundant. I have been told that it is also true in Melanesia . There are also areas where there is remarkable WWII wreck diving. The two places especially notable are Palau and chuuk (Truk lagoon).

Edited by 5waldos
sp ck

I know that there are at least 2 divemasters onboard. Other than that, I can't comment since we haven't been on Discoverer yet, but it's the reason we're taking 3 b2b from Kota Kinabalu to Cairns next month. If you read the detailed itinerary, you can see when and where there is diving, but that's as much as I know. I'm not a diver but wanted to pass the information on regarding registration, etc.

You must be leaving soon! Look forward to hearing your adventures when we join you in koror. We'll be having breakfast at the resort on Sunday when you get off on an adventure.

Edited by 5waldos
so ck

• 2 weeks later...

We've registered to dive from October 20 B2B to Auckland. We are taking our own BCs and regulators. However, I am not certain about fins/mask. I don't believe they are provided as the site says they will provide tanks and weights. Does anyone know as I would rather not take my fins/mask.

Thanks

They do provide snorkeling masks and fins (see 4, just under diving in the FAQs). Since they are the same as dive fins and masks I would assume that divers could us them. We are bringing our own travel fins and a mask so at least on the first segment of your trip there will be extras. Although have no idea if they will fit.

Browsing Discoverer threads as we consider a last minute booking.

We always carry our own masks and snorkels.

A really well fitted silicon mask with a big view area glass face is a godsend.

Dive shops sell quality masks and you can be sure they fit in the comfort of the store .. ditto for snorkels

There is nothing worse than fighting with a poorly fitting , leaky mask with the screen covered in scratches.

Caveat emptor