Scooter rental

newcruzer2

an absolutely fantastic way to see the inside of a local emergency room .... even the cruise lines have finally come around and recommend you DO NOT rent scooter/mopeds {most of this applies to ALL the islands ... even Bermuda and Cayman}

- island drivers are "interesting" and you don't know the roads .... or the local "rules" ... not to mention there are parts of town where you would be VERY unwelcome ..... (if it is a place where they drive on the left 'forgetaboutit' .... your probability of an accident doubles ....

- the equipment tends to be in HORRIBLE condition meaning no brakes

- even if you are an experienced biker .... you have a questionable piece of equipment, roads you don't know, sand covered in most cases (slippery as ice) and let's not even begin to think about a beer or two

- I did MANY an R&R day in DomRep and most of the other islands in the Carib' and my 'organization' eventually proscribed any crew from using any form of two wheel motor device in the islands due to the large number of SERIOUS injuries that resulted .... it is just a BAD idea .....

- you can hire a taxi for the day ..... much safer ..... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Edited by Capt_BJ

an absolutely fantastic way to see the inside of a local emergency room .... even the cruise lines have finally come around and recommend you DO NOT rent scooter/mopeds {most of this applies to ALL the islands ... even Bermuda and Cayman}

- island drivers are "interesting" and you don't know the roads .... or the local "rules" ... not to mention there are parts of town where you would be VERY unwelcome ..... (if it is a place where they drive on the left 'forgetaboutit' .... your probability of an accident doubles ....

- the equipment tends to be in HORRIBLE condition meaning no brakes

- even if you are an experienced biker .... you have a questionable piece of equipment, roads you don't know, sand covered in most cases (slippery as ice) and let's not even begin to think about a beer or two

- I did MANY an R&R day in DomRep and most of the other islands in the Carib' and my 'organization' eventually proscribed any crew from using any form of two wheel motor device in the islands due to the large number of SERIOUS injuries that resulted .... it is just a BAD idea .....

- you can hire a taxi for the day ..... much safer ..... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Well 1st I "laughed out loud" at the 1st line.....then thought, ok that's probably true.....then read the rest of your post.....ok thank you for wake up call, I'll put my scooter plans on permanent hold :) OH yeah did I mention I've been known to trip walking on level hard ground, so yea....good advice :)

glad you took in the manner intended

I've had hard core bike folk tell me to stick it .....

SCENE Bermuda ... a very nice place and the equipment was actually in very nice shape. I remember watching a girl of about 20, riding in a bikini, slide her moped (sand on the road) and 'almost' got out fine but as everything came to a stop she sat down .... on the motor ..... back of one upper leg was about 10% second degree burns - matching the cooling rib pattern of the motor ... she spent the rest of that trip dealing with blisters AND PAIN .... made sitting fun and no longer a beauty queen .... and the Dr bill and and and ...

It is pretty easy to negotiate a price for a taxi to turn into a tour for as long as you'd like.

Enjoy. My first visit to Puerto Plata was 1983 when it was a port call for Commodore Cruises. They loaded a BUNCH of Presidente beer ..... Later visited with 'my ships' many times and enjoyed Sosua Beach (hint hint)