What Airport is by Galveston terminal?

luvmysox1

Houston Hobby is the closest... it's South of downtown. IAH(Bush) is North of downtown and the other choice. A lot of Southwest flights go into Hobby and they generally run some pretty competitive rates. If I were flying in, I'd try to use Hobby as it shaves about 40 minutes off the ride to Galveston. Houston is very large and sprawling.

As I a sure you know Southwest flies out of Midway. I have not flown in/out of Midway enough to know if it gets weathered in during the winter. Houston Hobby is a nice airport. You can get to Galveston by limo running 95 each way currently as is a taxi, shuttle like super shuttle which is probably cheaper or someone posted here on the boards about Houston Sheridan having a deal where they picked you up at the airport, took you to their hotel, to the port and picked you up. I would not chance it in winter from Chicago to travel the same day as the cruise unless I had insurance or booked through the cruise line.

We just had a wonderful time and experience on RCI VOS. Loved spending some before time and into the afternoon in Galveston after the cruise. Hope your cruise is as successful and fun!:)

As I a sure you know Southwest flies out of Midway. I have not flown in/out of Midway enough to know if it gets weathered in during the winter. Houston Hobby is a nice airport. You can get to Galveston by limo running 95 each way currently as is a taxi, shuttle like super shuttle which is probably cheaper or someone posted here on the boards about Houston Sheridan having a deal where they picked you up at the airport, took you to their hotel, to the port and picked you up. I would not chance it in winter from Chicago to travel the same day as the cruise unless I had insurance or booked through the cruise line.

We just had a wonderful time and experience on RCI VOS. Loved spending some before time and into the afternoon in Galveston after the cruise. Hope your cruise is as successful and fun!:)

Do you happen to have the name of the limo company that is $95 each way. Super Shuttle is $100 (and a bit less with AAA code) and I found a SUV for $95 each way- 24 hr port taxi, but would love to be able to get a limo. Thanks for any information you have...

We are from Cave Creek- I see a lot of Az and Phoenix people on these boards.

JetBlue also has service to Hobby from Chicago. I'm sure they're competitive with Southwest. Delta, AirTran and American also fly in, but each requires a change of planes (Atlanta for the former two, Dallas for the latter) and their schedules aren't as convenient. As a bonus, Hobby has just been remodeled ... it's an incredibly easy airport to navigate.

Here's some good information about transfers to and from the ship ...

http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/hobby.html

They're very reliable, and the prices are really good (SuperShuttle's best deal from Hobby runs about double).

Hope this helps ... have a great cruise!

Al

Houston Hobby is the closest... it's South of downtown. IAH(Bush) is North of downtown and the other choice. A lot of Southwest flights go into Hobby and they generally run some pretty competitive rates. If I were flying in, I'd try to use Hobby as it shaves about 40 minutes off the ride to Galveston. Houston is very large and sprawling.

Actually ALL of the Southwest flights going to Houston use Hobby Airport. Southwest hasn't used IAH for a few years. Hobby is just a little over 40 miles from the Port of Galveston. Definitely easier to get to Galveston from there vs. IAH.

Here's some good information about transfers to and from the ship ...

http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/hobby.html

They're very reliable, and the prices are really good (SuperShuttle's best deal from Hobby runs about double).

I can't see how this is any less expensive. I can get a van for our group of 7 from Super Shuttle for $100 each way or $200 plus tip but when I plug in 7 r/t with Galveston Limo I get a quote of $560. Am I missing something?

Archived