Local bus tour

tartanexile81

We love to use the local buses in the Caribbean and they always seem plentiful in Barbados. Can anybody suggest a bus we could use from the terminal near the port just to get away from Bridgetown for a while. We'd like to see some pretty scenery on the way and maybe arrive at a beach or interesting village to walk around.

We love to use the local buses in the Caribbean and they always seem plentiful in Barbados. Can anybody suggest a bus we could use from the terminal near the port just to get away from Bridgetown for a while. We'd like to see some pretty scenery on the way and maybe arrive at a beach or interesting village to walk around.

We have taken the bus in Barbados several times. I really can't remember bus numbers or anything, we just went to the terminal and told them we wanted to take the bus to Folkestone. They told us which bus to get on and then we told the driver we wanted to get off at Folkestone and he was kind enough to let us know when to get off. After the first time, we could find the stop on our own. :) Folkestone is a park with a beach with some great snorkeling, but if you don't want to snorkel the park is nice and the church there is open for tours, they have an old graveyard there too. I think it is called St James Parrish. We have also gone from that beach and walked down the shore a ways when we are done we walk back to the road and catch the next bus headed back to town. Very interesting bus ride. One time instead of taking the bus back, we got on the bus and took it farther up the shore. We went way up the coast and saw some quaint towns and sugar cane fields. It was a great day and for a dollar bus ride, it was a pretty cheap day.

We have taken the bus in Barbados several times. I really can't remember bus numbers or anything, we just went to the terminal and told them we wanted to take the bus to Folkestone. They told us which bus to get on and then we told the driver we wanted to get off at Folkestone and he was kind enough to let us know when to get off. After the first time, we could find the stop on our own. :) Folkestone is a park with a beach with some great snorkeling, but if you don't want to snorkel the park is nice and the church there is open for tours, they have an old graveyard there too. I think it is called St James Parrish. We have also gone from that beach and walked down the shore a ways when we are done we walk back to the road and catch the next bus headed back to town. Very interesting bus ride. One time instead of taking the bus back, we got on the bus and took it farther up the shore. We went way up the coast and saw some quaint towns and sugar cane fields. It was a great day and for a dollar bus ride, it was a pretty cheap day.

Thanks for your help seashinesunshine. That sounds the sort of thing we're looking for. We're not into snorkelling so what are the amenities like sunbeds, toilets, showers beach bar etc?

Thanks for your help seashinesunshine. That sounds the sort of thing we're looking for. We're not into snorkelling so what are the amenities like sunbeds, toilets, showers beach bar etc?

Not a whole lot. We were able to rent chairs, but the beach is a narrow strip. There is a bathhouse with toilets and a shower. I might recommend bringing some paper for the toilet. There was a snack stand where you could buy a flying fish sandwich. It's not really a beach to lay out and sun soak. If you don't want to snorkel you will enjoy the beach a bit, but the park and church and being able to walk down the beach is the main attraction. Plus the bus ride. :eek: I don't know how people survive riding them every day!