Anyone cruise with A-Fib (Atrial fibrillation)?

happy trailer

I was recently diagnosed with atrial fibrillation (a-fib), and was wondering if there are any CC'ers who have cruised with a similar diagnosis.

During my extended visit to the ER last week, the doctors assured me that I'd be able to fly long distances, hike, and pretty much lead a normal life. But they also told me that they'd be seeing me again (and again...). Sometime during that day, I felt that all I wanted was to be laying on a comfortable lounge chair, rocked into a pleasant lull by the movement of the sea, and I wondered when I'd feel comfortable cruising again. (I didn't think to ask the ER docs about cruising, but that will be on my agenda for my next appt with my cardiologist.)

I know that if/when I can cruise will be up to my cardiologist; I'm not asking for medical advice from anyone on CC.

What I am asking is if anyone has cruised with a-fib. If so, how long after diagnosis did you take that first cruise? Did you ever experience an 'episode' that required medical care while on board the ship? Was the ship's medical team able to care for you adequately?

TIA!

Ruth

Ruth, he has been very fortunate. The afib has never casued hm a problem. He has cong heart failure is on Lasix daily & has 1 stent in. Also a pacemaker was inserted about 3 yrs ago. Heart is the lest of his problems. Good luck to you & your husband.

Ruth, he has been very fortunate. The afib has never casued hm a problem. He has cong heart failure is on Lasix daily & has 1 stent in. Also a pacemaker was inserted about 3 yrs ago. Heart is the lest of his problems. Good luck to you & your husband.

Thank you. Best wishes and good health to you and your husband.

Know several people that have A-Fib. They all travel regularly and have not had any issues. But than everyone is different and that's why it's important to follow the advice of your doctor. For what it's worth they have all completely eliminated caffine and chocolate from their diets since being DX'd with A-Fib.

Know several people that have A-Fib. They all travel regularly and have not had any issues. But than everyone is different and that's why it's important to follow the advice of your doctor. For what it's worth they have all completely eliminated caffine and chocolate from their diets since being DX'd with A-Fib.

Thanks! I've been doing some reading, and know that for many people, caffeine and/or chocolate can trigger an a-fib episode (so can alcohol, btw).

Doesn't apply to me, tho'- I've avoided caffeinated drinks for over 30 years, and gave up chocolate a few months ago. (Guess I'll keep away from chocolate from now on, anyway. Too bad- I was really fond of dark chocolate!)

I have had a-fib for about three years. One thing I had to get through my head was the fact that the big problem with a-fib is the risk of stroke and that most a-fib episodes are scary but not life threatening. Don't get me wrong-I have made several trips to the emergency room and I am in the middle of changing meds but I am not going to stay home. I also have Parkinson's so I am not sure how long I will remain mobile and be able to travel.

I had no trouble on either cruise I took since I was diagnosed and I hope it will be the same for the ones we have scheduled. Hopefully you will be as lucky. Just remembeer to take your meds and like you said stay away from caffeine. Have a great cruise. I took a cruise a couple of months after being diagnosed (forgot to answer that one)

Sue

I have had a-fib for about three years. One thing I had to get through my head was the fact that the big problem with a-fib is the risk of stroke and that most a-fib episodes are scary but not life threatening. Don't get me wrong-I have made several trips to the emergency room and I am in the middle of changing meds but I am not going to stay home. I also have Parkinson's so I am not sure how long I will remain mobile and be able to travel.

I had no trouble on either cruise I took since I was diagnosed and I hope it will be the same for the ones we have scheduled. Hopefully you will be as lucky. Just remembeer to take your meds and like you said stay away from caffeine. Have a great cruise. I took a cruise a couple of months after being diagnosed (forgot to answer that one)

Sue

Thanks for the encouraging words, Sue! It's especially great to see that you have an Alaska cruise tour booked for next year- I'd been planning to do the same next spring, but was thinking I would have to at least postpone it for a while.

Archived