Kaua'i Highlights

DreamOf

I have always wanted to visit Hawaii so this is my "trip of a lifetime". It's doubtful that we'll get to go back so we want to make the most of this trip, soaking all that we can. DH and I are stopping at Kauai on one of the legs of our Hawaiian cruise on POA. We are not adventurers, but love nature and are looking forward to seeing all that the island has to offer. We plan on renting cars in each port. We do have some limitations regarding extensive walking and climbing, so we can only do light walking. What are some of the best scenic sites to see, the kind that are true Hawaii and should not be missed. We will be in Nawiliwili Port.

If you have the funds.... I highly recommend a helicopter flight on Kauai...do it on day 1 ...that way if there is a weather cancelation, you can maybe do it the next day. The flight is great way to see the canyons, falls, and north shore of the NaPali coast.

If you book this on your own you usually save money. The major drawback is if the ship misses the Kauai stop...you lose your money, unless a 24 hour notice is given. I have flown with Safari and Blue Hawaiian ... both offer a really great flight.

Chuck

I agree with the suggestion for a helicopter tour as boat and air are the only way to see the Na Pali Coast -- the most beautiful part of the island. If that is not feasible or too expensive, there are a number of other spots you can visit with a rental car, such as Waimea Canyon, Poipu, the North Shore, the town of Kapa'a, etc.

If budget is a limiting factor, yet you still want to fly over the island, I recommend an airplane flight with Wings Over Kauai. Price was less than half that of a helicopter. Although an airplane can't get as close to a waterfall, nor can it hover like a helicopter, you still get a unique perspective of the island and a lot of bang for your buck.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'd love to take a flight of some sort, but hubby is afraid of heights and just couldn't do it! One additional question. Is there someplace to park a rental car near the Nawiliwili port?

Thanks for your suggestions. I'd love to take a flight of some sort, but hubby is afraid of heights and just couldn't do it! One additional question. Is there someplace to park a rental car near the Nawiliwili port?

The shopping center nearest the port charges $20 for overnight parking. There is a free shuttle that runs back and forth, although it's only a 10 minute walk away.