Getting a taxi.

thesanders08

• 2 weeks later...

I found the taxi rates very expensive. A better option might be to go to the tour booth near the end of the pier. Depending on where you want to go, they can hook you up with a group taxi for a much lower price or a tour that goes to your desired location.

A few years back, my sister and I wanted to grab a cab to Nelson's Dockyard. It was going to be $60 some dollars each way. Instead, we signed up for an island tour with just one other couple that went to Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, and a few other scenic stops. For $25 each, we got a great tour.

Last year, we went to the tour booth to get transportation to Valley Church Beach. We paid $8 each way for a group taxi. It took only a few minutes for the cab to fill up. It would have cost considerably more if we hired an individual cab.

• 2 weeks later...

We left the ship fully intending for our family of 6 to take the local bus to Valley Church Beach. A taxi is $8/person vs $1.50/person on the bus each way. So round trip $90 vs $18. After passing countless taxi drivers trying to get our business, we just kept walking saying no thank you. We got about a third of the way to the bus station, near the end of the pedestrian mall when I got an offer to take us to Valley Church for $25 each way. Pretty good deal so we took him up on it. The lesson learned is that even if you have no intention of taking the bus, use it as a bluff, walk a bit away from the ship, and you can negotiate a better fare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Can you tell me more about your tour with Honest Abe? Where did you go etc.?

Went to Antigua in december 2013. We used his taxi service when we walked up to his taxi at the port spent the day at Coconut Grove Restaurant & Bar at Dickenson Bay. Picked us up for the ride back, right on time, fun guy, new van, reliable. Just/all what you need. :)

Went to Antigua in december 2013. We used his taxi service when we walked up to his taxi at the port spent the day at Coconut Grove Restaurant & Bar at Dickenson Bay. Picked us up for the ride back, right on time, fun guy, new van, reliable. Just/all what you need. :)

Thanks so much. I was looking at Coconut but think we may go to Valley Church Beach instead. The massages there are swaying me that direction. I would still like to see a little of the island so think I may contact Abe for our transport there.