Alaska Cruisers watch the night skies!

slickriptide

From the National Weather Service Space Weather Prediction Center (http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/)

Top News of the Day:

2014-09-11 05:01 UTC A Pair of CMEs

G2 (Moderate) geomagnetic storms remain in the forecast for September 12th as a result of the coronal mass ejection (CME) associated with the R1 (Minor) solar flare observed on the 9th. The latest WSA-Enlil model run has the CME associated with yesterday's R3 (Strong) solar flare arriving mid to late day on that same day. A G3 (Strong) Geomagnetic Storm Watch has been issued for September 13th due to the combined influence of these two events with G1 (Minor) storming anticipated to continue into September 14th. In addition, the S1 (Minor) solar radiation storm that is in progress as a result of the eruption yesterday is expected to persist for the next few days. Keep in mind that the forecast periods listed are in Universal Time so aurora watchers in the northern U.S. should be looking for possible activity both Thursday and Friday nights. Stay tuned for updates

I bet you didn't know that space has weather, heh. I hilighted the pertinent part of the forecast in the last couple of sentences. Basically beginning tomorrow night and continuing for the next 2-4 nights, there will be a surge in polar geomagnetic activity (assuming that the CME doesn't just wipe out technological civilization as we know it) that will cause a high probability of Aurora Borealis activity in the northern latitudes.

If you're in Alaska during the next few nights, step out on deck or on your veranda and see what the northern skies look like. You might get a treat.

From the National Weather Service Space Weather Prediction Center (http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/)

I bet you didn't know that space has weather, heh. I hilighted the pertinent part of the forecast in the last couple of sentences. Basically beginning tomorrow night and continuing for the next 2-4 nights, there will be a surge in polar geomagnetic activity (assuming that the CME doesn't just wipe out technological civilization as we know it) that will cause a high probability of Aurora Borealis activity in the northern latitudes.

If you're in Alaska during the next few nights, step out on deck or on your veranda and see what the northern skies look like. You might get a treat.

Oh, this is awesome information. Thanks for sharing :D

Friends happen to be in Iceland on a stopover enroute Europe...so I let them know.