botanical garden?

winterblue

Hello!

We are excited to visit a new-to-us port next week. But no one on cruise critic has much to say about the botanical garden. I am intersted in seeing the orchids. Has anyone been there? Is it best to take a taxi or a tour?

Should we stick with other east end attractions or try to get to the sting rays as well?

Thanks! Happy cruising!

Winterblue

Though a fabulous and unique part of the Cayman tourism scene, few cruise ship visitors make the trip out to the district of North Side to visit the Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park. Few cruise ship tours visit the site.

Each year around the end of February the Botanic Park puts on their annual orchid show. Even if you are not visiting on the dates of the show there are still a variety of orchids in bloom.

The Botanic Park is particularly known for its orchids. And to see the best of those it really helps to have a knowledgeable guide. I rarely recommend a specific tour provider, but as there are so few options I'll mention Silver Thatch Excursions owned and operated by wildlife biologist Geddes Hislop*.

Unfortunately the Botanic Park is far enough from other attractions so that it is not feasible to combine a stop there with a trip to the stingrays. You could combine a stop there with a stop at the Pedro St James Historic Site.

A rental car would be preferred to take in the Botanic Park and additional sites as the public buses are rare and taxis rather costly to make your way around the eastern districts.

* As per usual, I have no financial interest in this, or any other, Cayman tour provider. Heck, Geddes doesn't even know me.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I think we will rent a car and visit the botanical garden as well as some other East side sights. It is too bad we will be too early for the orchid show. I will remember that when planning future trips to the Caymans!

Have a good day,

Winterblue

The Queen Elizabeth Botanical Park is very nice. Don't miss out seeing the Blue Iguanas. They are really cool. We did combine it with Pedro St James on a previous visit. Pedro St James is also a very neat site. When renting a car, just remember a little saying we use when we are there: Stay to the left, look to the right :)

I have been to the gardens and they are very nice. Lots of plants, trees, flowers, tons of birds and many iguanas.

As mentioned you can do a tour or taxi. Here is some more info http://www.botanic-park.ky/contact-us/location/

Cayman Safari Adventures also run a tour that includes the botanic gardens.

Hello!

We are excited to visit a new-to-us port next week. But no one on cruise critic has much to say about the botanical garden. I am intersted in seeing the orchids. Has anyone been there? Is it best to take a taxi or a tour?

Should we stick with other east end attractions or try to get to the sting rays as well?

Thanks! Happy cruising!

Winterblue