Norwegian fjords

Hi can anyone help have booked parking at Newcastle port with Thomson's when I booked my holiday, and also a tour for flam railway when I received my final paperwork I don't receive anything for parking or tour phoned them and they sent e voucher for tour but said we don't need voucher for parking just final cruise paperwork this does state in the extras parking paid. Also any advice on how much local currency I should take for 4 days off the ship sorry so long winded but always useful information from the people here

I had a similar concern about parking when I first went from Newcastle a few years back.

The system is that BEFORE you park you go to the terminal itself where they issue you with paperwork and you drop off your luggage. You then take your car to the car park with the voucher they give you. There is then a shuttle bus fir the short journey back to the terminal.

Credit/ Debit cards are widely used in Norway so we take very little local currency with us. We are just taking £100 worth and expect to bring it back, apart from an odd tip to the driver if we take a tour somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you buy goods ashore you can claim back the Norwegian VAT (or whatever they call that equivalent tax), so mind and keep the receipts - there is customs and excise type on the ship who will square up before departure.

We found the price of clothes aimed at tourists was not out of the box - their alcohol in supermarkets was cheaper on the ship !!!

The system is that BEFORE you park you go to the terminal itself where they issue you with paperwork and you drop off your luggage. You then take your car to the car park with the voucher they give you. There is then a shuttle bus fir the short journey back to the terminal.

Not quite, usually you do not go to the terminal in your car (*). As you enter the port area, they ask if you have dropped off your luggage and if not you get directed towards a baggage handling shed. Before you get to that you meet some Thomson staff, where they sort out some paperwork and you get labels for the suitcases. Then you go on to the baggage hall where you drop off your luggage. Then you drive back to the port entrance, re-enter and this time get directed towards the car park.

(*) the cars that go to the terminal are for the North sea car ferries.