Sony camera raw files

c230k

I have the Sony Rx10 and R100 III and decided to try Raw + Jpeg for the cameras output. The Sony Raw files are coded as .ARW. What software do you use or recommend to use for processing.

Thanks Tom :cool:

Lightroom, Picasa, PS Elements (one of the newer versions) and Sony PlayMemories all handle them well. Lightroom is my favorite since it handles RAW and JPEG with the same adjustments available (which is one reason I shoot RAW so seldom these days).

If you use Windows, the driver available from Sony lets yous see preview thumbnails in File Explorer.

http://esupport.sony.com/swu/4025/US/

Dave

Edited by pierces

Thanks Dave

Lightroom, Picasa, PS Elements, have all three. Do not have the latest programs.

Have to covert to a DNG file in order to process. If Sony make it's so hard to use, might just stick with Jpeg,

Tom

Thanks Dave

Lightroom, Picasa, PS Elements, have all three. Do not have the latest programs.

Have to covert to a DNG file in order to process. If Sony make it's so hard to use, might just stick with Jpeg,

Tom

My LR is up to date but I have Elements 11 and whatever Picasa is freely available and they all handle ARWs from my A77,NEX-7 and A6000 seamlessly. Have you updated Camera RAW in LR and Elements? The RXs are new, but so is the A6000. I'm not sure why you're having a problem with RAW.

Have you run all the updates recently?

Dave

Again thanks

Had a senior moment, update my Elements 12 and it works great. Your pictures are GREAT, makes me think if using Raw is any real benefit.

My Lightroom 4.4 is up to date but does not recognize ARW files. Do I have to convert to a DNG file?

Tom :cool:

You might also consider picking up the very good Capture One software specifically for Sony. It's actually FREE - a rarity nowadays - and it's a very good RAW converter. Capture One is always highly rated, and they made a specific version just for Sony which has probably 80% of the full functionality - you can download free off their site - I think the RX10 is one of the supported cameras.

:cool:Thanks, will give it a try. Do you shoot with Raw or like Dave shoot mostly Jpeg Fine? Both of you have been great over the last couple of years with your input on Sony cameras and photography in general, I am sold. Made my hobby more fun and productive, being retired does help.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Tom

Again thanks

Had a senior moment, update my Elements 12 and it works great. Your pictures are GREAT, makes me think if using Raw is any real benefit.

My Lightroom 4.4 is up to date but does not recognize ARW files. Do I have to convert to a DNG file?

Tom :cool:

I just subscribed to Adobe's Photographer's program. Lightroom and full Photoshop for $9.95/month. All updates are included as long as you subscribe.

LR 5 is a big update from 4. Worth the upgrade in my opinion, even if you have to pay the $79 occasional sale price to do it.

Happy shooting!

Dave

:cool:Thanks, will give it a try. Do you shoot with Raw or like Dave shoot mostly Jpeg Fine? Both of you have been great over the last couple of years with your input on Sony cameras and photography in general, I am sold. Made my hobby more fun and productive, being retired does help.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Tom

Much appreciated. I too tend to prefer JPG myself - I use it probably 95% of the time. There are a few occasions I'll shoot RAW - for example, I occasionally do some paid event shooting, where it's safer and better to shoot RAW + JPG - I can still use the JPGs most of the time, but if something needs more fixing up than JPG can provide, since these are live events and there's no second chance to get the shots, the RAW is there as a safety backup. Also, I will occasionally use RAW when shooting extreme high ISO in very low light, because there's a little more leeway to recover highlights and shadows, and control the noise reduction to keep a little more detail...that's usually on something like the Disney dark rides, or handheld walkaround street shooting.

Lightroom is up to 5 now. Your version 4 is out of date. You can also just set it to automatically convert your raw files to DNG upon import into lightroom. That is what I do (I shoot nikon as of right now).

Plus the $9.99 package from Adobe is not a bad deal either. You always have the most up to date versions of LR and Photoshop. (I am updating as I am typing this message as a matter of fact.).