Hiring mobility scooters

Dempsmb

I am due to travel to NYC with Celebrity Eclipse in November. One of my party has mobility issues so was considering hiring a mobility scooter. Does anyone have any advice about hiring a scooter and navigating round NYC. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am due to travel to NYC with Celebrity Eclipse in November. One of my party has mobility issues so was considering hiring a mobility scooter. Does anyone have any advice about hiring a scooter and navigating round NYC. Any advice would be appreciated.

Assume you are doing the Westbound Transatlantic Crossing on the Eclipse that overnights 1(one) night in NYC. It's probably going to be difficult to rent a scooter solely for the limited time in NYC. The process is not the same as renting one for the full duration of the cruise and having it delivered directly to the ship on embarkation day to be on ship disembarkation day for pickup. The individual would be responsible to make arrangements to pickup and drop off the scooter on their own with the rental company. A lot of time would be lost in doing this which would not leave enough time to explore NYC. Has the individual considered bringing a collapsible wheelchair provided they have someone able to push it for them if they can't do it? Or perhaps a 4 wheel rollator with a fold down seat so they can rest as needed ? Regular Taxis are very easy to find in NYC but if a wheelchair accessible scooter is necessary it generally has to be ordered as they're not as readily available for just flagging down on any street corner.

However you can always check with one of the following to see if it's practical to rent one for the time in NYC considering that the individual would be required to pick-up and return the scooter:

http://www.Carevacations.com

http://www.Specialneedsatsea.com

http://locations.scootaround.com/rentals/n/newyork/

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks for your response. Yes it is just the one night in NYC so I really wanted to make the most of it rather than struggling and them being in pain.

I will have look into the websites you mentioned but at the moment I am just seeing what my options are so I thought I would raise it on here to see how others have found visiting the city. Thanks again for your response.

Check with you LOCAL mobility supplier and see if they have nationwide connections. Some do, some don't. I've actually had my local people loan me a 3 wheel scooter to use instead of my 4 wheel as they turn in a much shorter radius AND I was only using it inside. We also rented on in another city by calling around in that city and found a place that would rent for the day. Good luck and hope your friend enjoys their day.

This will not be difficult to achieve.

Scootaround.com will deliver to any hotel (or other) and pick up. It may be expensive for one day but worth it in the end. Another very good option is to check with society for accessible travel - SATH - http://sath.org contact Jani Nayar email = jnayar.sath.org 

phone 212 447 7284 they are located in Ny and will be able to help advice you. Best of luck! Susan