March 11th, PG!!! 48 days to go!!

Trvlbugs

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some others on the board joining us!

this trip is to celebrate my 6 year anniversary. my mother is crazy enough to offer to watch the kids for us for the week! Cant pass that up! lol

My husband and I are from Henderson, nevada which is outside of Las vegas.

Have you planned any excursions yet?

Where are you all from?

Melissa

Three generations of our family will sail on the March 11 voyage of the Paul Gauguin. Documents arrived this week, so the party has begun!

Paula and I sailed on the PG for our 25th anniversary 5 years ago and have longed to return ... we are VERY excited to share the islands with our kids (Meredith [21 on Valentine's Day] and Oz [17]) and my parents.

Our Davis sixsome last sailed on the Voyager in 2004 through the Norwegian fjords. That was my folks' first cruise and now, after Tahiti, they will sail on the Mariner's May 13 11-night voyage from L.A. to Vancouver (they are HOOKED!).

We are doing a 2-night pre-cruise at the Intercontinental Beachcomber. Paula and I went straight to the ship in 2001 (and would be fine with that again), but we figured the extra time will help our generational spectrum adjust to the time zone and maximize our enjoyment of the cruise.

We are splurging on OTW Lagoon Bungalows (shhhh, don't tell the kids ... hey, there aren't many surprises in life). Actually, the prices were reasonable by booking two triples, joining the Ambassador Club, and reserving the rooms months ago with the nonrefundable rate.

I imagine that we will do excursions similar to our prior PG sailing. By the way, I wrote about our past experience at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=440

We will share full reports and plenty of photos of the refurbished PG and we look forward to meeting friends (old and new alike) on March 11.

Luke Davis

Dallas, Texas

--------------------

Paul Gauguin (March, 2006)

NorFjor723 (2004) - Norway - Seven Seas Voyager

W. Caribbean (2002) - RCCL Voyager

Paul Gauguin (2001)

Alaska (1984) - Princess

S. Caribbean (1983) - NCL

Hawaii (1981) - American Hawaii Cruises (S.S. Independence)

Thanks for sharing, that was a very informative trip report.

I am curious,,, i have looked at all the excursions on there website at radissson, but it doesnt give a description.

Tahaa for sure sounds like a day to take it easy. That is an easy one for us. The rest are a bit harder.

Did you have a favorite island?

My husband and I are into snorkeling and hiking.

Thanks,

melissa

Melissa,

If you're into hiking, you probably would like the "trails of the ancients" or whatever it's called on Moorea. If you do this, definitely take the bug repellent1 ;) and remember, it's hot, so take lots of water. I have not done this trip, but have heard good things about it.

By the way, Moorea is my favourite island. The lagoon is BB is the best, but the island of Moorea itself is stunningly beautiful.

I am new to this posting thing.

My name is Kevin, and my wife is Nancy. We are cruising with Kim and Kurt.

We are in our upper 40's, and live in a small town in Southern Illinois, right outside of St. Louis (go Cardinals!).

We have cruised on short cruises (4 nights or less), and never on RCCS. I had to promise to rent my wife a Tahiti cell phone so she doesn't have to worry about the 'kids' (they are 16, 17 and 20!) getting in touch with us, even though Grandma and Grandpa are staying at the house with them. I guess it is a mom thing. But, at least we are going on the trip.

We are leaving on 3/9 and have a 2 day precruise stay at the Radisson I believe. Any suggestions on what to do those 2 days?

Look forward to meeting everyone on the cruise

Hi,

We spent a two-night pre-cruise at the Radisson last year, and have done this cruise several times. You will probably want to spend most of your time just lying around and swimming, going for walks on the beach--you will be tired. The hotel is a little isolated, but there is a shuttle that goes into town twice a day, so you might want to do that. If you do, buy some bottled water and drinks, because everything at the hotel is fairly pricey.

If you are into sightseeing, there are tours that you can arrange from the hotel. The restaurant there is okay, but there is a very nice restaurant at another, smaller hotel called the Royal Tahitien, which you could reach by cab. It's on the water, very small, but the food is very good, and there are lots of locals there. Beware the prices everywhere, they are very high.

There is apparently also a little bar along the beach to the right of the hotel--we saw it, but did not go there--apparently the beer is cheaper there. You can also walk along the beach in that direction for quite a distance, until you reach rocks, where there are trail which the locals take to do god knows what. Oh, and there are sometimes spinner dolphins in the bay, so if you watch for them, you will get the Dr. Poole show for free!

Have a great time in paradise, and I'm betting your wife will forget about the cellphone pretty quickly!

Archived