Getting back to Orlando after cruise returns to Port Canaveral

Amongst our family discussions of our Feb 2016 cruise is the transport from Orlando to Port Canaveral. I know there are shuttles, and it looks like we can even rent a car in Orlando (which we will be doing anyway since we arrive a few days before cruise departs) and you can drop it off in Port Canaveral.

But how about getting back?

Some of us are planning on a post cruise excursion which will take us back to the airport (we've already noted the time the excursion recommends for return flights). But some others are probably not going on the excursions and need/want to get home asap.

Can you book a return shuttle that morning when you disembark, or are all the seats in the shuttles spoken for? I suppose they could rent a car one way for the day too.

Just curious about options.

Thanks

If using a cruise line shuttle you can book while on board . If private I would pre book it. Or just rent a car to get back to Orlando . Most rental place will have a shuttle . They might require the driver to get the rental then come back to the terminal to get the rest. This depends on how busy they are.

Just so you have a price comparison, Royal charges $37.50 per person for the transfer back to the airport from Port Canaveral. For one person, that's probably a good deal, but for two or more people in the same party, I would look at a shared shuttle. We've had good luck with Cocoa Beach Shuttle and Travelynx.