Sweeny's Safari Tours- Drake Question

toes_in_sand

@ Drake

You should get in the travel excursion business, you are doing an amazing job.

I do however, have a quick question for you. We are looking at doing a Sweeney tour on Apr 12 (a dreaded Sunday)

Tour Description:

"Your island tour will give you a look at several of St. Croix’s top attractions, including the world famous Cruzan Rum Distillery, the historic town of Christiansted, the site where Columbus landed, and beautiful Cane Bay Beach."

It seems that we are doing a Cane Bay drive by with no stop. Is the tour really worth $48 per person for 4 hours?

Thanks

Laurna

Edited by Laurnat

@ Drake

You should get in the travel excursion business, you are doing an amazing job.

I do however, have a quick question for you. We are looking at doing a Sweeney tour on Apr 12 (a dreaded Sunday)

Tour Description:

"Your island tour will give you a look at several of St. Croix’s top attractions, including the world famous Cruzan Rum Distillery, the historic town of Christiansted, the site where Columbus landed, and beautiful Cane Bay Beach."

It seems that we are doing a Cane Bay drive by with no stop. Is the tour really worth $48 per person for 4 hours?

Thanks

Laurna

Thank you!

My girlfriend and I just debated this over breakfast and we both agree we wouldn't pay that much for it.

Grab a taxi and go to just the spots you really want to. I would never recommend Cane Bay on ship day unless you're scuba diving.

A taxi from the pier to Cruzan is less than $20 for 2 people and you can get it less than that if you find a group going. Admission is cheap and it's a great time.

If you want to hit Christiansted for shopping (not my favorite activity) it's about $25 for 2 people from the pier.

Prioritize what all you want to see and try not to plan too much into your day. You need time to lay on the beach after all!

Thank you!

My girlfriend and I just debated this over breakfast and we both agree we wouldn't pay that much for it.

Grab a taxi and go to just the spots you really want to. I would never recommend Cane Bay on ship day unless you're scuba diving.

A taxi from the pier to Cruzan is less than $20 for 2 people and you can get it less than that if you find a group going. Admission is cheap and it's a great time.

If you want to hit Christiansted for shopping (not my favorite activity) it's about $25 for 2 people from the pier.

Prioritize what all you want to see and try not to plan too much into your day. You need time to lay on the beach after all!

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. It is on a Sunday so all the stores will be closed for shopping ( good for me- bad for my sister :-))

The rum tour and some beach time are the priorities for that day, was hoping to get a bit more sightseeing in though.

Edited by Laurnat

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. It is on a Sunday so all the stores will be closed for shopping ( good for me- bad for my sister :-))

The rum tour and some beach time are the priorities for that day, was hoping to get a bit more sightseeing in though.

On your way back from Cruzan have your taxi drop you off at King Street and Hill Street in Frederiksted and enjoy the old architecture on your way to the beach. That street will lead you right to Fort Frederik which is always awesome for pictures and enjoying the view. Then walk about 20 yards past the fort and you're on the beach, walk a little further and you'll hit Freedom City Surf where you can get great food and drinks right on the beach plus chairs and umbrellas.

I think that covers everything! :)

Drake offers very good information on this board. Greatly appreciated!

I was the one that posted that we thought it was very good deal --- especially when you consider the 1-way costs for a taxi to the major island destinations. This tour was half the cost as the shorter, big group, tour offered by the ship --- and also a bargain compared to the costs of local island tours on other Caribbean Islands.

It really depends upon what you want to do for the day. If looking for an island tour we would do it again in a heartbeat.

Laurnat ... Cane Bay was indeed a "drive by" but our driver was very willing to let us out to get beach time there if we wanted it. The day we were there it was raining at the time so the 6 of us decided to keep going.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

I was the one that posted that we thought it was very good deal --- especially when you consider the 1-way costs for a taxi to the major island destinations. This tour was half the cost as the shorter, big group, tour offered by the ship --- and also a bargain compared to the costs of local island tours on other Caribbean Islands.

It really depends upon what you want to do for the day. If looking for an island tour we would do it again in a heartbeat.

Laurnat ... Cane Bay was indeed a "drive by" but our driver was very willing to let us out to get beach time there if we wanted it. The day we were there it was raining at the time so the 6 of us decided to keep going.

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed your day here. [emoji2]

Thanks for the great info - will they tailor the tour at all? We are not "shoppers" and would rather spend more time seeing the island as it's our first visit there - and we want time for the beach afterwards. Did you contact them by email?

Thanks, Cindi

Thanks for all the feedback. Our only concern is that we are going to be in port on a Sunday, and from what I have read the shops in Christiansted will be closed. So it seems redundant to spend some time there if the shops are not open.

Too bad about Cane Bay Beach, the pictures look incredible, but as I sit here surrounded be this crappy white stuff called snow, any beach sounds good right about now :-)

Edited by Laurnat

Thanks for all the feedback. Our only concern is that we are going to be in port on a Sunday, and from what I have read the shops in Christiansted will be closed. So it seems redundant to spend some time there if the shops are not open.

Too bad about Cane Bay Beach, the pictures look incredible, but as I sit here surrounded be this crappy white stuff called snow, any beach sounds good right about now :-)

Depending on the size of the ship you'd be surprised how many shops will open up on a Sunday. No guarantees of course but it's a possibility.

Ok, this is a girl question :-)

Seeing the some stores will be open, how available is coconut oil to purchase? St Croix is our first stop, I really do not want to carry a large container with me, so looking to buy some while in port.

According to my coworker the coconut oil aficionado you get the best stuff from the Rastafarian guys in the Kmart parking lot of all places! She also mentioned a guy named "Prince" that has the best supply, you can call him at 340-642-3811 and he'll have some for you. There's also a little hut along the beach road that sells it but I don't know if they have any right now.

I hope this helps!