Richmond Brighouse

we used only public transportation. we stayed at the fairmount airport hotel. easy on and off for the train. we got a day pass right at the station, they have kiosks to purchase the ticket. the kiosks take credit cards. oddly, no one checks your ticket when you get on any of the transports. (you can use the pass for train, bus and boat transport.) however, if they do a spot check and you do not have a ticket there is a fine.
Yes day passes are available at the subway station machines. HOWEVER I heard the day passes were disabled on the airport machines.

Yes, they do random spot checks on the trains and stations.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Fare-Infractions.aspx

Nope, the trains are roll on roll off with all stations having elevators.

The hotel their talking about is at the airport (connected to the terminal), so you don't even leave the building. Skytrain Canada Line to downtown is basically across the street from the terminal building and runs from the airport to 3 blocks from Canada Place.

I am staying at the Travel Lodge near the Airport.. i was told it is real close

I am staying at the Travel Lodge near the Airport.. i was told it is real close

Not close enough that you want to shuttle back & forth via YVR if you are heading downtown by Skytrain - it's about 4miles/6km, 10mins drive (a few mins longer in rushhour) and of course there's the delay in calling for the shuttle then waiting for it to arrive...

I always suggest that people ask the shuttle driver to drop them at Bridgeport Station if the shuttle is going out soon, and if it's not ready to go right when you want to leave just walk to that station - it will be quicker than waiting for the shuttle and without suitcases it's a very easy walk of ~3/4mile.

Since Translink is a unified system you can also hop on a bus that goes to Bridgeport with the same ticket that lets you on Skytrain; 407/430/620 all pass by but unless one is due in about five minutes it's quicker to just walk.

having not been there since last year, i cannot say for sure, but i can tell you for sure that last year we bought our day passes at the kiosks at the airport station. we were up on the platform near the trains and there are many kiosks that accept credit cards. we did check at the 7-11 in the airport and i believe they said to just buy them at those kiosks. yes, we stayed at the fairmont airport right at the end of the terminal. if we were to do it again, we would probably stay at a nearby one that was along the skytrain. i gotta tell ya, though, after flying all day from tampa stopping in chicago, there was nothing like just rolling the luggage to the end of the terminal and up to the comfy and quiet room. btw, because i did not mention it...we are very light travellers. we each had one rolling carry on and a backpack each. no waiting for luggage, no chance it would get lost. and yes....we made it for 10 days this way. we happen to know how to pack light (plug here for packinglight.com video...it saved us tons of space and time.) anyway...you will love it.

Not close enough that you want to shuttle back & forth via YVR if you are heading downtown by Skytrain - it's about 4miles/6km, 10mins drive (a few mins longer in rushhour) and of course there's the delay in calling for the shuttle then waiting for it to arrive...

I always suggest that people ask the shuttle driver to drop them at Bridgeport Station if the shuttle is going out soon, and if it's not ready to go right when you want to leave just walk to that station - it will be quicker than waiting for the shuttle and without suitcases it's a very easy walk of ~3/4mile.

Since Translink is a unified system you can also hop on a bus that goes to Bridgeport with the same ticket that lets you on Skytrain; 407/430/620 all pass by but unless one is due in about five minutes it's quicker to just walk.

your maps are very helpful thank you so much.. But i am a little confused.. My plan was to go to the hotel from the airport. The plane gets in at noon.. We would dump the luggage and then go to Richmond. We want to see an area called Stephens Village where my favorite TV show is filmed. They have around and see the sites there and get dinner. we are staying 2 days and the next day we want to see Grouse Mountain and the suspension bridge which is past Canada place. Maybe hang out in downtown for dinner and back the hotel fairly early.. Then check out in the morning to go back to Canada Place (with luggage) to get in the cruise by 1 pm

DO i have a good plan? Or am I missing something ;)

your maps are very helpful thank you so much.. But i am a little confused.. My plan was to go to the hotel from the airport. The plane gets in at noon.. We would dump the luggage and then go to Richmond. We want to see an area called Stephens Village where my favorite TV show is filmed. They have around and see the sites there and get dinner. we are staying 2 days and the next day we want to see Grouse Mountain and the suspension bridge which is past Canada place. Maybe hang out in downtown for dinner and back the hotel fairly early.. Then check out in the morning to go back to Canada Place (with luggage) to get in the cruise by 1 pm

DO i have a good plan? Or am I missing something ;)

Honestly Squeeky I'm really not sure I know what to tell you at this point - it sounds like you're just looking for perhaps a bit of validation on your choices?

I know it can be daunting when you have only a brief time somewhere new, want to see 'the best stuff' and don't have close to enough time to see everything, but have some faith in yourself and your choices - you've already said you're locked in to your hotel, your flights, and therefore many of your logistic decisions are done with.

You've already got maps, bus numbers, Skytrain info, Seabus, attraction shuttles and even multiple spelling reminders provided for Steveston (OUaT's Storybrooke) right here in this thread, let alone your many other posts; your plan is quite feasible, but nobody can tell you whether it's good for you - except you!

Since all of your planned activities are outside downtown, your hotel location is not a big inconvenience - in fact it's much closer to Steveston which sounds like your highest priority so that's great. Yes, you'll need to walk a bit or bus or shuttle to & from Skytrain, but it sounds like that will only be a factor three times (to & from downtown on day 2, then to Canada Place again on cruise morning).

The only thing I'd say at this point is that you have no bad weather backup - all three of your listed things to see involve being outdoors for the bulk of your time. If it's crappy weather you may want to think about some indoor Plan B options - BCHGs extensive list from her May 6th post should give you several ideas...

We have stayed several times near Canada Place, so on our last trip a year ago we thought we would try someplace by the airport since it was SO much cheaper. We ended up at the Richmond Marriott.

Quick shuttle from the airport to the hotel (the shuttle also handles the Sheraton and Hilton which are right next door basically). Nice hotel, but rooms a bit smaller than we are used to.

We saw the Richmond Mall nearby, so we took a walk over to it (about 2 blocks). Very nice mall, nicer than what we have in Oklahoma. Very few non-Asians in the mall, but we felt very comfortable there.

The next morning we walked the two blocks again (with our luggage this time) to the Skytrain stop at the Mall. Bought our tickets from the machine and waited a few minutes for our train. It took us to about 2 blocks from Canada Place (an easy downhill walk).

We were happy with our stay at the Marriott Richmond and would do it again.

Edited by DaveOKC

We have stayed several times near Canada Place, so on our last trip a year ago we thought we would try someplace by the airport since it was SO much cheaper. We ended up at the Richmond Marriott.

Quick shuttle from the airport to the hotel (the shuttle also handles the Sheraton and Hilton which are right next door basically). Nice hotel, but rooms a bit smaller than we are used to.

We saw the Richmond Mall nearby, so we took a walk over to it (about 2 blocks). Very nice mall, nicer than what we have in Oklahoma. Very few non-Asians in the mall, but we felt very comfortable there.

The next morning we walked the two blocks again (with our luggage this time) to the Skytrain stop at the Mall. Bought our tickets from the machine and waited a few minutes for our train. It took us to about 2 blocks from Canada Place (an easy downhill walk).

We were happy with our stay at the Marriott Richmond and would do it again.

Well i thought part of the flavor and experience was that Richmond and Stephens Village was an Asian community and has food art and so forth.. I thought it was suppose to be part of a nice experience. Also I wanted to see where my favorite TV show is filmed.. It is called "Once Upon a Time".. has anyone been there? I thought it was a nice tourist side trip..but i have not been there

Well i thought part of the flavor and experience was that Richmond and Stephens Village was an Asian community and has food art and so forth.. I thought it was suppose to be part of a nice experience. Also I wanted to see where my favorite TV show is filmed.. It is called "Once Upon a Time".. has anyone been there? I thought it was a nice tourist side trip..but i have not been there
The Richmond Centre Mall and Steveston will have less Asian influences. The area between the Travelodge and Richmond Centre Mall will have more... especially around Golden Village (Aberdeen Mall).