Any Insect repellant Recommandations?

tooalto

On a cruise or a cruise tour I doubt you will need it since you will be ashore or going through the canal when the mosquitoes are not very active. If you do take some repellent along I like those containing DEET. I usually get those having 20-30% or more. DEET is not good for synthetic fabrics so I apply it in the shower (water off) to contain any over spray, let it dry and then get dressed if wearing synthetics. Also, apply sunscreen first and give it as much time as possible to soak into your skin before applying insect repellent.

• 2 months later...

I've used Jungle Juice in other places as well and it does work being 98% DEET and all.

Read the label and follow the instructions. I usually put it on outside on deck preferably away from other folks and then thoroughly wash my hands.

We took one containing Deet but found we never needed it. DH is a mosquito magnet, and breaks out in massive welts when he gets bitten, but even he had no problem without it.

Not saying you shouldn't use it, but you may find you don't actaully need it.

Edited by CleoV

Most of the bugs lurk in the bushes and grass and while you are transiting the Canal you're far from the shoreline and bugs just aren't a problem. If you are taking a tour, like one of the jungle tours, or small boat tour around the edges of Gatun Lake, or up to the Embera village you may want to take along some bug spray IF you need it, and you probably won't. Dengue is the big problem in all of Latin America and the Caribbean so Panama is very active combating mosquitoes. Generally in the Canal there is some breeze and it is quite pleasant.

Regards, Richard

• 1 month later...

I can't recommend a particular brand but what I like to travel with are the individually packaged towelettes instead of a liquid spray. They're small and easy to pack and if you don't use them it isn't a big deal to leave them in your toiletry bag indefinately to be used for future traveling.

• 1 month later...

For nine years, we have been soaking our "bug clothes" with permethrin before we travel. Sawyer has a great product that I order on eBay (or buy at REI if I wait too long) which does shirt, pants and socks. It is easy to do, lasts several washings and can be extended by storing in dark plastic bags between wearings. This has stood us well in the Amazon, hiking on Guadalcanal, in Denali, in the Everglades, in the South Pacific, on safari in Africa, and so many other places. Mosquitoes send out engraved invitations before I arrive as their entree. And I came home from the Bahamas with over 400 no-see-um bites. I will do just about anything to avoid insect bites!! Permethrin is used by the military and is the ingredient found in bug-repellant clothing.

In addition to that, we also use 3M's Ultrathon Insect Repellant, either the spray or the cream. I put that on my feet (yes, under my already-treated socks) and ankles and up my calves, around my waist even though it's covered, and on my hands (and arms; yes, covered), neck and face. As soon as we're back on the ship, I shower to get it all off. After all, DEET isn't good for humans!

Like I said, I REALLY don't want insect bites. And, I take all these precautions in ANY tropical climate, rural climate, humid climate, city or not. I never believe that there will be "no" bugs. I've been told that too many times and, sadly, have proven those folks wrong all too often!!

Thank you havepassportwilltravel,

Like you, mosquitoes look at me like caviar and filet mignon!

I am ordering some permethrin pants,Sawyers spray from Dicks sporting goods for my Panama Canal trip-the excursions on the ferry boat in the canal as well as the rainforest aerial tram/Tortuegara canal means I will definitely need this stuff. I may also put some rubber bands around the cuffs of my pants to limit bugs getting in.

I recently attended an afternoon party and the bugs even bit me through my underwear and bra! Can I soak undergarments in the Sawyer product?

I envy those who say bugs won't appear-that's probably because they all gravitate to us unfortunate few-we must be happy hunting grounds for them!

• 1 month later...

Here's what CDC recommends: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/protection-against-mosquitoes-ticks-and-other-insects-and-arthropods#3406

Note the recommendations for at least 20% if using DEET on skin and that higher than 50%DEET does NOT seem to provide longer lasting or better protection.

Personally I like the 3M Ultrathon: sustained release formula with about 34% DEET that comes in leakproof 2oz tubes (can carry on aircraft). Keep a couple of these in my go bag.

Here's what CDC recommends: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/protection-against-mosquitoes-ticks-and-other-insects-and-arthropods#3406

Note the recommendations for at least 20% if using DEET on skin and that higher than 50%DEET does NOT seem to provide longer lasting or better protection.

Personally I like the 3M Ultrathon: sustained release formula with about 34% DEET that comes in leakproof 2oz tubes (can carry on aircraft). Keep a couple of these in my go bag.

Thanks, run2sea! I didn't realize Ultrathon could be purchased in 2 oz tubes. Just ordered some for my go-bag too!

Gee, all this talk about drenching oneself in chemicals! Of all the times I've been through the Canal there have never been any mosquitoes on deck! Most cruise ships pass through during times of the year when there are nice winds blowing across the deck and no bugs. If you go up to the Authentic Embera Village, 45 minutes by dug out canoe through the jungle, you may, MAY want to take along some bug spray in case you need it. Same for the trips on Gatun Lake [Monkey Island, Peacock Bass Fishing, etc) and into the city, but there are a whole lot less mosquitoes in Panama than in Alaska, where they are "the State Bird", or Wisconsin in summer, or a host of other home towns.

Take bug spray, but likely you won't need it. Mosquitoes definitely were a problem a hundred years ago when the Canal was being built, but . . .

Regards, Richard

Ooops . . . a mosquito got on board! Sound the alarms! Get out the bug repellant!

ptg01223724.jpg

If there were only a single mosquito in all of Panama,believe me it would take a bite out of me! I am on a Costa Rica excursion through a rain forest and canal ride so it's not just the canal that I need to prepare for! Even Fort Lauderdale Florida where we embark is a problem for me, so I do plan on preparing with permethrin treated clothing and high DEET concentration bug repellant.

Wish I were lucky enough to not be such a bug magnet but I am!

Although malaria and yellow fever are no longer a problem,dengue fever IS on the rise in the Caribbean and in south Florida and it is a mosquito borne illness and if contracted it is quite unpleasant. Ten to 15 per cent of people who contract it can have very serious and life threatening complications from it.

Mosquito borne illnesses are still a force to be reckoned with despite the assurances by those who think they are not. I usually refer to the WHO, the CDC and the State dept for official and evidence based opinions on whether or not I need to prepare.

You're right, dengue is a major problem throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, which is why Panama is so intent on controlling the mosquito population.

Sweet, you just must be extra sweet so the bugs love you!

When you go ashore good idea to take along some repellant, but on the ship transiting the Canal it won't be a problem. Mosquitoes don't like any breeze which is why with a fan above the bed in the tropics we never get mosquitoes.

Regards, Richard

• 6 months later...

My recommendation is Cactus Juice. NON deet and even is available in sunscreen base. For others Avon Skin so soft has been an old timer. I don't like deet if at all possible, Only use it when i am walking in underbrush and don't want ticks and skeeter bites.. Have fun..