Cork, Ireland

Lynnees

I was wondering about the Cobh Road Train, a 45 minute ride around Cobh for 8 Euro. My DH is mobility impaired (at selective times lol) and I thought this might be a quick way to at east see the sights from afar. What do you think?

I'd never seen that before (as I mentioned, I don't live in Cobh any more). The route is alright - the views from the High Road should be OK. The Lake Road views of the harbour may be a bit obscured by walls/trees, but some of the houses alone are worth looking at, and they do say they stop at various places for photo opportunities. The loop up Park Road and down Orilia Terrace is not very scenic, but necessary because of the one way traffic system. You can wave at my primary school as you come down Orilia Terrace :)

I haven't been on that specific train, but have been on one similar with children. I have long legs and broad hips and found it a little cramped, but it's not for very long. It's only €8 and 45 minutes so if you have no other plans, you might as well, and the tour guide could be interesting.

Y

If you feel like a bit of a stroll when you disembark, and don't mind going up a lot of hills, here's where I'd go: route

Where A is on the map, there are steps up there to the bottom of Spy Hill...

Many thanks for your efforts with both the narrative and the Google maps. I've printed them and will share with our friends when in Cobh this September.

Cruise Critic is such a great resource, looks like I have found exactly what I was after thru Cobh Coaches.

I tour taking in Cobh, Cork, Kinshale, Charlesfort, Barrycourt Castle and the English Market all going well.

Thanks to all for your tips, looking forward to smooth sailing and good weather on arrival 10 May

HAPPY EASTER

I don't want to break any rules - but has anyone used Cobh Coaches ?

I was referred to them on Cruise Critic and they responded with a quote I accepted and formed a small group.

It's just they are very slow to respond to emails, and I couldn't find any recommendations on Tripadvisor.

I called them today, and they told me they will be at the wharf in Cobh.

Any advice from a Cork/Cobh local, or a previous user would be really appreciated

Thank you both for your wealth of information. I have your map for a walking tour and will make notes on your advice for the train.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask without derailing this thread.

Would one or either of you consider answering some travel inquiries directly to my email address ? If so, here it is. desertdwellerjj@yahoo.com

I don't want to break any rules - but has anyone used Cobh Coaches ?

I was referred to them on Cruise Critic and they responded with a quote I accepted and formed a small group.

It's just they are very slow to respond to emails, and I couldn't find any recommendations on Tripadvisor.

I called them today, and they told me they will be at the wharf in Cobh.

Any advice from a Cork/Cobh local, or a previous user would be really appreciated

Afraid I've never heard of them, so can't help you much there. I checked who the domain is registered to, but it's a pretty common name in the area, so that didn't help.

Thank you both for your wealth of information. I have your map for a walking tour and will make notes on your advice for the train.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask without derailing this thread.

Would one or either of you consider answering some travel inquiries directly to my email address ? If so, here it is. desertdwellerjj@yahoo.com

I'm getting worried that people are using my walking suggestion as gospel :) Remember that I'm not a tour guide - I just grew up in the town. I'm worried that someone will come back terribly disappointed!

I don't think anyone would mind if you ask your questions on here - other people may be interested in the answers too!

Glad to see this thread. Any suggestions for just walking around after getting off the ship. Would love to visit a pub or two and have lunch. Not really interested in transportation to anywhere else. I always figure that I should see the local port first and not run off to some "famous" town just because we are near it or because people back home expect it of me. I'm looking for a pin for my hat, the DW wants a magnet for the frig and we both want a local brew and something to eat. Give us all that and we're happy.

If CptSticky is still following this thread, I popped into the gift shop (first shop you'll come to when you disembark in Cobh) last weekend to see what they had. They have pins, they have magnets, they have all kinds of things :)

At the risk of sounding like I'm on a game show, things I can remember:

Pins, magnets, Guinness logo things (t-shirts, baseball caps, etc), Irish sweets, bottle openers, bottle stoppers, books, "art" (various pictures, metal things to hang on the wall), postcards, Titanic memorabilia, pens, pencils, soft toys, scarves and pashminas, celtic jewellery, snow globes, placemats, cutlery, things with leprechauns on them...

I was quite impressed by the range of souvenirs - I think the cheapest thing I saw was around €2

This may be of interest to people here. I don't have very many details, because it's 5th hand news to me.

Someone is opening a café on Spike Island soon. You'll be able to take a quick ferry from Cobh over to Spike, and there'll be a little shuttle bus to bring you up the hill (or you can walk). Spike was nice, but once you'd seen the sights, there wasn't much else to do there. A cup of coffee in the courtyard could be lovely on a nice day. I don't know when exactly the café is opening (I got the impression that it's soon), but the island is open to visitors from March to October each year.

Spike has a really interesting history: http://www.spikeislandcork.ie/

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our Cruise on the Infinity and I can highly recommend Cobh Coaches - met on time in a clean vehicle, plenty of room, and a knowledgable guide for our tour around Cork, Kinshale, Barryscourt etc - all at a very reasonable price ....