Tkr & tsa

onthelake

I know my new knee will set off the alarm at TSA screening at the airport. Since this is my first flight since the surgery, when do I let an agent know?

Do I also need to let them know when boarding the ship? They screen the hand luggage . . .

I hate to be the object of attention and just want to get thru without any extra alarms. :rolleyes:

I know my new knee will set off the alarm at TSA screening at the airport. Since this is my first flight since the surgery, when do I let an agent know?

Do I also need to let them know when boarding the ship? They screen the hand luggage . . .

I hate to be the object of attention and just want to get thru without any extra alarms. :rolleyes:

Just inform the airport TSA agent and the cruise line security agent that you require a pat-down dues to the knee. It would also be a good idea to have letter from you doctor also handy in case TSA or cruise security questions it.

My husband has 2 knee replacements, a pacemaker and a spinal cord stimulator implanted. On the ship, just tell them before you go through the metal detector and they will pat you down. At the airport, also tell them prior to going through the metal detector and they will do the same. If the airport has the body scanners, you can go through them but you will still need to let them know before that you have a metal knee so they won't be surprised to see it on the scan. DH has a card from the manufacturer for each implant but no one ever wants to see it. The doc says that it is too easy for people to get a forged document. Be aware, that even if you go through the body scanner, they may still want to pat you down. Has happened to husband. It is really no big deal and we have found all the TSA people we have dealt with to be very nice and kind with the exception of the ones at Washington D.C. Reagan Airport.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Tell the security people you have a knee replacement. You'll probably ring the alarm and have to have a pat-down anyway. There's no point in having a letter or certificate from your doctor. They take no notice of them.

Beccause of my knee replacement, I always have to plan to take longer going through security, so remember to allow for that extra time.