Friends of Bill W

RB Bonzo

My understanding is that on-board Friends of Bill W. meetings are "open" and that anyone, including people involved in 12-step programs other than AA, are welcome to attend.

Has anyone involved in a food-related 12-step program gone to one of these meetings? What has your experience been? Does one identify the program in which he participates, or does one just identify himself as, for example, a compulsive overeater? What type of reaction did you get? I'm involved in one of those organizations and am considering going to a meeting during an upcoming cruise.

If I do make it to a meeting, I'll return to this thread and write about my experience (respecting the anonymity of the meeting, of course).

Thanks -

RB

Edited by RB Bonzo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

and am a recovering alcoholic with almost 20 years sobriety one day at a time. I have no experience with a person from other 12 step programs attending meetings on board. That having been said, I personally would not have a problem in that situation however there are those who would invoke the "the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking" clause. I have seen that happen on land though. My suggestion would be to go if the desire to activate your particular addiction as to me it is more important to defeat that urge.:D

• 2 years later...
My understanding is that on-board Friends of Bill W. meetings are "open" and that anyone, including people involved in 12-step programs other than AA, are welcome to attend.

Has anyone involved in a food-related 12-step program gone to one of these meetings? What has your experience been? Does one identify the program in which he participates, or does one just identify himself as, for example, a compulsive overeater? What type of reaction did you get? I'm involved in one of those organizations and am considering going to a meeting during an upcoming cruise.

If I do make it to a meeting, I'll return to this thread and write about my experience (respecting the anonymity of the meeting, of course).

Thanks -

RB

I've been to several on different cruises some people mention their addiction of choice - most don't. If they do it is in the course of the discussion about their challenges and how they are handling the feelings - what tools are they using, do they have supportive family or friends. One cruise there were several of the entertainers in the meeting. They invited us backstage after their performance!

• 7 months later...

You are certainly welcome. Friends of Bill & Bob meetings on board, are not officially AA meetings (no 7th tradition) The last two cruises we have been on have included OA members…one was OA 90 the other person was in an OA group who abstained from white flour/white sugar. They fit in well and were valued participants. See you at one of the meetings! My hubby and I are both "double winners" (members of AA and Al-anon) ODAAT...

• 3 months later...

Has anyone involved in a food-related 12-step program gone to one of these meetings?

Thanks -

RB

I have been to a few "Friends with Bill W" meetings as a Non AA.

My experiences have been good. Most are Quite supportive. I guess the question as to whether to identify yourself, is purely your choice. I did not in certain circumstances. others I did. (Depending on the situation, I guess)

I did talk about my experiences in 12 step program and Shared What was going on at the time of the meeting. All in all Very positive. I have always been thankful when they are available, announced in the bulletins and people are willing to attend.

Hope you come back and share your good experiences. happy cruising!