Carnival Excursions - Sergeants Caye or Snorkeling Wonders??

Lainy67

For Belize in May, we have decided we are going to go with a Carnival excursion for snorkeling. We have it narrowed down to the Sergeants Caye Snorkel Adventure or Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef.

Any pros or cons of each? I have looked through a ton of stuff and still can't decide. Hard to choose when the reviews are so mixed.

Thanks!

When in May are you going?

Please come back and report. We will be there snorkeling the latter part of May and set up a private. A little worried about bugs and sea lice so bought some stuff to cover ourselves with. Would love to know how bugs and water conditions were.

• 1 month later...

We did Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef last week on our Legend cruise. We did the later (1030) excursion and did not have time to shop at the port after the excursion. I suppose we could have gotten up early and gone ashore for a bit and returned to the ship, but we chose to do the later one.

There was a large group (I'd say about 50). When we got to the island, we broke up into beginner, intermediate and advanced. Advanced group snorkeled 3/4 around the island with a nice current. They tried to discourage people from joining this group. They described it was for very strong swimmers and certified divers. Luckily everyone who went in this group was up to the challenge.

The intermediate did about 1/2 around the island and went with the current the whole time.

The beginners did a smaller area of the reef. All groups had a guide and someone in a kayak for safety.

After the snorkeling, we had about 1 hour on the island (beginners and intermediate had more time) We were given mats to lay out on the beach, and were also free to enjoy the water and the reef area that the beginners used. There was also food and drinks for sale on the island.

I have done an excursion to Goffe's Caye through Princess, but enjoyed this one much more.

I would be happy to answer any questions

Thanks for the information. Do you remember what food was for sale? I've seen hot dogs and hamburgers mentioned. Those are fine for the kids, but I'm vegetarian. I'm guessing I'll need to eat a big breakfast and possibly bring some snacks for me, but just wondering.

I'll have to see what times are offered for our sailing.

I remember burgers and fries, and chips. Nothing else stands out in my mind. We usually carry a few packaged granola bars, or energy bars in case we want something, and can't find anything we'd eat. We did the 1030 excursion. We were back to the ship by 3. We ate a big breakfast;).

• 3 weeks later...
We did Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef last week on our Legend cruise. We did the later (1030) excursion and did not have time to shop at the port after the excursion. I suppose we could have gotten up early and gone ashore for a bit and returned to the ship, but we chose to do the later one.

There was a large group (I'd say about 50). When we got to the island, we broke up into beginner, intermediate and advanced. Advanced group snorkeled 3/4 around the island with a nice current. They tried to discourage people from joining this group. They described it was for very strong swimmers and certified divers. Luckily everyone who went in this group was up to the challenge.

The intermediate did about 1/2 around the island and went with the current the whole time.

The beginners did a smaller area of the reef. All groups had a guide and someone in a kayak for safety.

After the snorkeling, we had about 1 hour on the island (beginners and intermediate had more time) We were given mats to lay out on the beach, and were also free to enjoy the water and the reef area that the beginners used. There was also food and drinks for sale on the island.

I would be happy to answer any questions

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing with Carnvial Liberty in September. I get terribly sea sick on the Tenders, but not with speed boats. Does the excursions "Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef" pick you up in a speed boat at the ship to take you to the Island?

How long do you stay on the Island?

Also you mentioned that they divide groups into experience? Are you not able to swim at your leisure to see the reef?

We were on a large catamaran, so it wasn't rough. There was a guided snorkel that was split into groups. In the advanced group we swam around 3/4's of the island, the intermediate group did less than that and the beginner group snorkeled from shore. All of the groups ended where the beginners snorkeled. Once the guided portion was finished, we were free to snorkel as much as time permitted. I prefer to snorkel on my own, but going in the group first allowed the leader to point out things we may have missed on our own. There was about 1-1.5 hrs after group snorkeling. WE decided we had had enough snorkeling and enjoyed the beach for the rest of the time. We only had about an hour after our snorkel.

You do not have to snorkel if this is your preference.:)

• 2 months later...

Thanks Topspot for your review

I am looking over private and ship tours.

My DH & I are experience snorkelers.

Can't decide on Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef or Barrier Reef Snorkeling & Island Beach Break

Both are through the ship :rolleyes:

Each one 4 hrs....Wish it were long...

So let me jump into this thread too since I have recently switched to a Western Carib cruise. I want to throw in one more excursion, Gallows Point reef. I am glad that the "Wonders" excursion allows for free-snorkel after the guided tour. I had a full "free-snorkel" on Maya Key a few years ago... was in the water for about 2.5 - 3 hours. But is "Wonders" a better location than "Gallows"? I am not so much into the fish (because they are always around) but want to see the beauty of the reef.

And looking at a private excursion has me concerned since you first have to tender to the port, then leave from the port, go back to the port, and then tender back to the ship. You lose probably a good hour for the tendering assuming you make the first tender from the ship.

Thoughts/Comments??? :)