Best Cruise for WC User with Young Child?

Happy Panda

We are seasoned travelers though relatively new to cruising. Our one experience was with Disney Cruiseline in 2008. While we loved Disney, their itineraries are somewhat limited, so we're looking to try another carrier for our next trip. Seeking advice on what the best options are for a manual wheelchair user (paraplegic) with a preschooler - best itineraries and cruise lines.

Thanks in advance for your help!

We are seasoned travelers though relatively new to cruising. Our one experience was with Disney Cruiseline in 2008. While we loved Disney, their itineraries are somewhat limited, so we're looking to try another carrier for our next trip. Seeking advice on what the best options are for a manual wheelchair user (paraplegic) with a preschooler - best itineraries and cruise lines.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Having no children I'm unable to assist you with what ships would also be good for a pre-schooler. You might consider posting this on the Family Cruise Forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 as they would be able to tell you what cruise lines have the better kids programs. Than come back to the disabled forum and we can assist in telling you more about the cruiseline and or ship with regard to access.

I think right now we are leaning toward RCI and Celebrity. I'm not terribly concerned about the kids programs, not sure if our guy will want to go to them, but just looking for a cruise that is both family-friendly and WC-friendly.

Also concerned about the size of staterooms - are there rooms that sleep more than 2? A sofa bed would work fine for our son (he'll be 4), but I don't know if that's something that's standard in most disabled rooms for most carriers, or only available for some.

I'd love to find an itinerary that gave us the option for a shore excursion. When we did Disney in 2008 none of the beach trips were open to DH (with the exception of Castaway Cay), but this time I think it would be fun to take a tour or something as a family. Would hate for DH to have to be left behind at everything.

I would recommend Carnival. Carnival is very family friendly and great for kids. The newer Carnival ships are accessible and some HC

cabins hold more than 2.

Shore excursions offered by the ship are often not available to disabled as the buses don't have lifts for the wheelchair. Perhaps you could find a private excursion for disabled.

I think right now we are leaning toward RCI and Celebrity. I'm not terribly concerned about the kids programs, not sure if our guy will want to go to them, but just looking for a cruise that is both family-friendly and WC-friendly.

Also concerned about the size of staterooms - are there rooms that sleep more than 2? A sofa bed would work fine for our son (he'll be 4), but I don't know if that's something that's standard in most disabled rooms for most carriers, or only available for some.

I'd love to find an itinerary that gave us the option for a shore excursion. When we did Disney in 2008 none of the beach trips were open to DH (with the exception of Castaway Cay), but this time I think it would be fun to take a tour or something as a family. Would hate for DH to have to be left behind at everything.

Not all cruise lines understand that people with disabilities want to travel as a family. That is why we choose Celebrity. There are ADA rooms thst allow me, SO and DD, who is in a wheelchair, share a comfortable stateroom. We have done 7, 12, 14 and15 night cruises and had a wonderful time. We habe booked a B2B Alaska cruise on Celebrity for 2013. We will be on Carnival for a 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise in early June. HAL and Princess want us to book two rooms, so we will not cruise with them.

We were on RCI's Allure of the Seas in March. I booked a stateroom for 4, which had a sofa bed and a pullman, as well as the main 2 beds that converted to a larger bed.

For tours, Labadee is WC accessable with cement walkways/trails everywhere, and beach wheelchairs are available for use in the sand. We'd been to all of the ports of call multiple times so I didn't do any excursions otherwise. I used my Luggie to explore the pier area at Falmouth, Jamaica, and Cozumel, Mexico. I will say that staff was very helpful, assisting at the gangway making sure I was safe, as well as at restaurants and entertainment venues. Others will be glad to relate their experiences regarding shore excursions.

Enjoy your cruise :D

Archived