Concern for mosquitos on excursion

CruisersfromMD

Hi there,

My DH and I will be sailing on the Adventure of the Seas, with a stop in Dominica. We booked an excursion through the cruise line. I am a little concerned about the mosquito situation. I am NOT pregnant, NOR am I trying to get pregnant, but I am still worried about getting bitten and the other ill effects.

This is our excursion:

Dominica's Favorites

Visit a trio of natural attractions showcasing Dominica's unspoiled mountainous beauty. Delight in the panoramic vistas from the historic lookout of Morne Bruce. Inside the national park, see how Trafalgar Falls carved deep gorges and walk through lush tropical rainforest for better views of the dual cascades. A second trail brings you to the park's deep-green Emerald Pool, filled by other falls, where you can cool off with a swim.

• Morne Bruce: This historic mountainside lookout offers expansive views of Roseau, the harbor and botanical gardens.
  • Trafalgar Falls: See the spectacular dual cascades from above, then hit the trail to enjoy the best perspective.
  • Emerald Pool: Walk through the rainforest to this grotto, cooling off with a swim or in the cascade's refreshing mist.

Has anyone been there recently and if so can you provide some input as to the situation?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you may be able to offer!

Hi there,

My DH and I will be sailing on the Adventure of the Seas, with a stop in Dominica. We booked an excursion through the cruise line. I am a little concerned about the mosquito situation. I am NOT pregnant, NOR am I trying to get pregnant, but I am still worried about getting bitten and the other ill effects.

Have been to Dominica twice, including Morne Bruce and Trafalgar Falls. Never saw a mosquito. Not to say they aren't there, but the time of year favors you. The advantage to visiting middle-of-nowhere places, which both of the falls are, is that there's no human population to act as a disease vector. The odds favor you.

Hello, we have recently come back from cruising on Azura and we did the Middleham Falls hike on Dominica. We took Deet spray (20%) because of the Zika virus and any other biting flies etc however we never used it, forgot to put it on for our hike and never had a single bite. If you are concerned just use Deet or any natural spray which you are happy with, go and enjoy yourself.

Another aspect about Dominica that I forgot to mention is that it's very mountainous. It gets incredible rainfall, but the water is flowing downhill too fast for mosquitoes to breed. The dangerous species breed in small bodies of stagnant water such as are found around inhabited areas, which is also where the diseases are incubated.

• 2 months later...

We went in Feb 2016 and because I am a mosquito magnet I took bug spray with deet, and wore long pants and long sleeves. I sprayed the deet on a bandana that I tied around my bag (don't spray that stuff on your skin).

We went all over the caribbean, into rainforests, etc. and got no bug bites. On the beach if there is a breeze you don't have to worry about getting bitten but anytime you are inland, especially near the falls and rainforests you should definitely be covered.