Altantis Roommate Share Match Program

CruisinD80

Has anyone tried Atlantis' roommate program? Any recommendations? Tips? Advice?

I may be looking to sail solo in 2015. Recently single and my friends are not committing to booking a cruise. Would love to try Atlantis. I'm a fairly outgoing guy so hopefully making friends on board wouldn't be a problem.

Atlantis's program only matches you based on smoking preferences and the room category you are booking. I've known several people who have done the roommate share program without any issues. If ground rules are set up front when you first meet, and the cleanliness factor is in the same realm, it doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. I've only heard a few instances where the share program didn't work out, and if the charter had another room that was being unused, they sometimes offer to split the group.

If you're not into rolling the dice, I would suggest joining one of the social media groups as they all tend to have private and public groups you can join. I see several people posting on cruises I've been on where they find a match online and can get a feel for each other prior to boarding. This also opens up the possibility getting a cabin category that isn't available through the roommate program. If you do find a roommate prior to boarding, you can avoid that awkward meeting similar to how many of us met our college dorm roommate for the first time.

Good luck!

I've done it twice and had a good experience.

I heard that the matching process is based solely on smoking preference and booking order, so they don't put any more thought into it.

The cruise guide says that if there's a conflict and the two parties decide to split into different cabins (if extra cabins are available) that BOTH parties must pay the premium (basically double the cruise fare).

I may be looking to sail solo in 2015. Recently single and my friends are not committing to booking a cruise. Would love to try Atlantis. I'm a fairly outgoing guy so hopefully making friends on board wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I just off Atlantis' Mexico cruise and I did the cabin share. I was assigned a cabin mate and he was on the reservation, but never showed up. Maybe last minute he decided not to go or he found a friend to room with. I just got lucky. This has happen twice for me; but on all other cruises I had a cabin mate. Most were very nice and accommodating. Two didn't want anything to do with me...which is perfectly OK. With others we might have dined or went into port together. Everyone is different and it depend upon the chemistry. Most people who book a cabin share understand you are rooming with a stranger and respectful of your privacy; otherwise they book a cabin all to themselves. Entertaining male guest is a no-no unless prior arrangement can to set up. Bring ear plugs in case they snore. But otherwise, unless you plan to hang out in your cabin (and why would you on a gay cruise) you only use your cabin to sleep, nap, change and shower. Atlantis does provide a letter to each of you outlining the share accommodations guidelines/privacy and that if you violate the rules you will be put off at the next port and you will have to find you own way home at your own expense. I think this is a very rare situation.

Yes, you will have plenty of opportunities to make a lot of friends. Nightly single's cocktail gatherings and most of us would then head to the dining room together. There are two exclusive single's dinners during the cruise - sorta of like musical chairs and speed dating after each course - totally fun and great way to meet a lot of guys.

I’ve done the roommate share program 2 times out of the 5 I’ve sailed with them. Both times the roommate share program worked out well. We had opposite sleep schedules since I was partying all night and the other person was an early riser. We’d see each other in passing, never hang out and just respected each other’s privacy. Neither of them snored – thankfully.

Heed another poster’s advice about finding someone beforehand and booking another cabin category together. I did that for the last Atlantis cruise I took (Solstice) and it was because the ship was sold out. Someone was selling a bed in the cabin but wanted to know about me first and me about him before adding me to the reservation. It worked out GREAT! We actually hung out the first day on the sailing, went to dinner a few times during the voyage (we were both single) and went to the singles events together. He wasn’t much of a party animal but more of the Matt Yee lounge type but it didn’t matter.

If you can go the latter route then do so but the share program has never steered me wrong. Worst Atlantis experience was actually going with friends! I guess they figured they can get away with more? lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Floridaguy,

It depends on the trip you're looking at. Boytjie's right in the the main site is a good starting point. I'm not mentioning the other site as my posts have been removed in the past for mentioning the names on CruiseCritic.

I tend to see more activity on the private groups started by the passengers who are going on the trip. Those groups tend to be on the "closed" setting, so any posts made on the site would not show up on your own timeline. I find it's nice to be able to join the "closed" group as I may have people who I have friended online who are work colleagues, etc. whom I'm not necessarily interested in sharing what kind of raunchy costume I came up with for the White Party.

You can type in the search field on the social media site for the keywords of our trip. It normally will find a match to the group you are looking for. I would private message you here to help you out, but this site doesn't allow that feature. =/

Hi Floridayguy,

It wouldn't be through a Google search, but rather the social media site Mark Zuckerberg created that has a blue thumbs up as a company logo. Once you log in there, the upper portion of the search field in the website, type in "Atlantis 2015 cruise" and it should pull up several of the closed groups.

You'll need to ask to join, and then once you're approved you'll have access.

Which Atlantis cruise are you looking at joining??

Edited by absolutboy20

Thanks absolutguy! I'm booking a Pied Piper trip on Celebrity (Italy and Dalmatian Coast). I did search that site, but no results. Have taken many Atlantis cruises in the past and have used the Atlantis site. Thought I'd try a different tour operator and liked the ports of call.

It's been a little over 2 years since my last cruise, and I'm thinking about going on the Auckland/Sydney trip. Might be going alone this time so may be looking into the Share program. Thanks for all the wonderful advice and any one also looking, let me know. Cheers

There's definitely a closed group for the upcoming Atlantis Australia cruise. That particular cruise doesn't seem to be selling very well, so you may get lucky in doing a roommate share program and getting your own room =) I enjoyed that cruise very much, Sydney and Mardigrasland (EXPENSIVE!!) was fantastic. The only negative was that the weather overall for most of the cruise portion was unusually cloudy/cold so didn't get the socializing/boozing aspect that normally comes with the hot sun weather. Hope everything lines up for you!

• 1 year later...

im thinking about trying an Atlantis cruise this year and looking into finding a roommate if you're interested

Edited by grandslam8422