Cenotes

scsagh

Has anyone been to Cenote X-Batun or Cenote Kankirixche? We wanted to go swimming in one after touring the Mayan Ruins at Uxmal. I'd love to hear about them from anyone who has been to either one, or if you've done both, which you would recommend. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cenote X'Batun is in a jungle like setting with rock cliffs on one side and a valley on the other side. I would recommend water shoes at this Cenote. There are shallow spots where you can wade and it gets deeper at a few other spots. No jumping areas really at this Cenote.

Cenote Kankirixche has brand new stairs down into the Cenote with a viewing spot half way down the stairs. The depths ranges from 3 feet to 65 feet. This is a cavern Cenote with a large opening that allows for natural sunlight. There is a beautiful underwater (and above ceiling) galleries of stalactites, stalagmites and columns. Very pretty Cenote. Climb on the rocks at the far right of the Cenote where you can jump into the depths.

I went on a Cenote and Maya Ruin day with a company called YucatanCenote.com Eco-Aventuras. They specialize in Cenotes and will do a cenote only day or a combo cenote/ruin day. We had a blast!