Would This Be Safe?

CatherineL

I normally sleep with my bderoom winow open, even in the winter. But I watched a utube video of QM2 today and water was coming up over the window of the person taking the photo.

Would it be safe to have my balcony door slightly open at night? And how far up would we need to be to avoid water coming in? Also - how cold does it get at night?

My husband complains when it reaches freezing point at home and I still have the window open and I think he'd complain if it got too cold.

I normally sleep with my bderoom winow open, even in the winter. But I watched a utube video of QM2 today and water was coming up over the window of the person taking the photo.

Would it be safe to have my balcony door slightly open at night? And how far up would we need to be to avoid water coming in? Also - how cold does it get at night?

My husband complains when it reaches freezing point at home and I still have the window open and I think he'd complain if it got too cold.

I think sleeping with your bedroom door opens messes up the air conditioning.

We were on nine deck and even though our crossing was extremely calm, nothing above Force 6, our balcony was constantly covered with spray that blew up. Not remotely dangerous but rather damp.

I think sleeping with your bedroom door opens messes up the air conditioning.

We were on nine deck and even though our crossing was extremely calm, nothing above Force 6, our balcony was constantly covered with spray that blew up. Not remotely dangerous but rather damp.

That's correct.

Certainly on the Signal Deck of QE2, if one person has the balcony door open, the whole deck suffers. If they are all closed, you can get the cabin pretty cold.

You could always sleep on the balcony?

Matthew

Hi CatherineL,

Yes, the balcony door open will automatically cut off the AC in your room. Also, when the balcony doors are left open, it creates a draft of air around your area and may cause noises in the staterooms next to you.

There was a post on these Boards awhile ago about the fact that a security staff member came to a passenger's stateroom during the night because of unusual sounds reported by the people in the stateroom next door. The noise was from the drafts of air caused by the opened balcony door.

I have been on the QM2 four times now and have been on Four Deck three times and just last week on Five Deck with a sheltered balcony. Each morning I noticed a dampness and sometimes small amounts of water on the balcony floor. There is a drainage trough along the balcony doors that takes care of any water coming onto the balcony floor.

You can always ask your stateroom steward/stewardess about it.

Good luck!

Terry

There was a post on these Boards awhile ago about the fact that a security staff member came to a passenger's stateroom during the night because of unusual sounds reported by the people in the stateroom next door. The noise was from the drafts of air caused by the opened balcony door.

I

Wasn't that the guy who was going to take Cunard to the cleaners for false arrest? Never did hear the outcome of that one.

David.

Archived