Whitehaven Beach tours

obxgirl

Have researched cruise critic and still cannot find good answer to my question. We will be visiting Airlie Beach and would like to make the climb to see Hill Inlet. What is the best way to get there and back in time to make the ship? Saw one tour that looked good but doesn't return until 5.

I contacted the company ecorafting, the same company celebrity uses, and have hired a boat for the day, $2300AUS. It takes 25 people and I have managed to get a group together. They will do the tour including lunch and have you back for 3pmish. Only issue is have to pay before we go but they will refund if weather bad.

I contacted the company ecorafting, the same company celebrity uses, and have hired a boat for the day, $2300AUS. It takes 25 people and I have managed to get a group together. They will do the tour including lunch and have you back for 3pmish. Only issue is have to pay before we go but they will refund if weather bad.

Thanks for the info. When is your cruise?

The ship anchors quite a way off Airlie Beach which makes it a long tender ride ashore.As well as the ships tenders they usually use a catamaran as well that can take several hundred people at a time......the only problem is that only one at a time can enter or leave, so its a long time loading and unloading passengers.

How long is your stay in Airlie? Not sure if you have time to get to Hamilton Island and then out to Whitehaven from there.

Problem is, the region is not geared up for the number of passengers on large cruise ships. Tourism in North Queensland has been in strife since the GFC. The number of inbound tourists, especially backpackers, has dropped, Aussies are travelling overseas because of the high dollar and several of the small resorts have closed. Two of the local cruise companies have merged last year.

How long is your stay in Airlie? Not sure if you have time to get to Hamilton Island and then out to Whitehaven from there.

Problem is, the region is not geared up for the number of passengers on large cruise ships. Tourism in North Queensland has been in strife since the GFC. The number of inbound tourists, especially backpackers, has dropped, Aussies are travelling overseas because of the high dollar and several of the small resorts have closed. Two of the local cruise companies have merged last year.

We arrive at 8 and leave at 6 but I am sure with tendering it will take awhile to get off the ship. Saw a few boat tours to Whitehaven but wasn't sure how close the drop off would be to the climb to see inlet.

Please post info about the Eco trip when you get back. We are not going until Feb.

Have a great trip.

Archived