HAL Volendam - Explore4 offer

kiwicruiser55

If you do choose to go w/an oceanview, I'd recommend cabin 7086, on the aft of the Navigation deck. Literally just four steps out your cabin door to a little used public aft deck with plenty of loungers and small tables. Its like having a huge balcony all to yourself! Your cabin window, which is easily accessible because of the unique bed placement in this cabin, overlooks this 'secret deck.' From this deck, just one flight of stairs up to the aft Lido and Sea View Bar and outdoor pool. Nothing finer than sitting on one of the loungers on this secret deck, overlooking the gorgeous wake and beautiful aft views - particularly for Alaska!

I've not sailed on the Volendam, but have sailed three times on the sister ship - Amsterdam - all 3 being their 14 day Alaskan itinerary. We have sailed in the Amsterdam's similar 'secret cabin' in that same location and LOVED it!

Note that there are also a few other 'secret aft decks' on the Volendam, including the Main Deck and the Verandah Deck, so you could choose one of the oceanview cabins near the aft of the ship to take advantage of those 'secret decks' as well.

Enjoy - you're going to fall in love with the Great Land! I guarantee it!

• 2 weeks later...
Went to book our cabin yesterday and the recommended cabin 7086, not available so they are holding the cabin next to it, 7083, does anyone have any knowledge of this cabin?

If you know of another good cabin in H catergory I would welcome it.

My aunt and I were in 7083 in 2008, and we experienced the best cabin service either of us has ever had--before or since! She has been cruising since 1966, and I have been cruising since 1986. We were in a "neighborhood" of high-dollar cabins, and the staff service we received reflected that.

For rear-facing views I don't believe you can match the value you'll get in Nos. 7083 or 7086 when you consider the Category H pricing.

Enjoy your cruise!

OP - you've made a great choice! So happy it worked out for you. I think you will really love the location, and as previous poster noted - excellent service due to all the suites located on Navigation deck. Really nice piece of real estate near the aft of the ship. The bed's configuration in these cabins is sideways, which is great because it frees up a walkway right to the window overlooking the secret deck. The only odd thing about the cabin is the location of the loveseat, which is kind of tucked into a corner, with a part of it behind the bathroom wall. For the 2 of us though, it was not an issue. We used the love seat for 'staging' our gear for the next day in port - backpacks, binoculars, camera, etc., so all we had to do was grab-n-go in the morning to get out there and enjoy beautiful Alaska!

Smooth sailing to you!

Cabin now booked, paying deposit tomorrow, we had an inside cabin on Ryndam on Navigation deck last year and we had 5 star service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Please let us know how you enjoyed your location and your cruise!