RCI, no hosted FOD?

8373seth

We just returned from our first RCI on the Liberty of the Seas. I was a bit surprised that there wasnt a hosted FOD. Is this normal for RCI? There was an FOD but it wasnt hosted and it was at midnight on the 1st night in the dance club Catacombs.

It's not a big deal but it was nice to have hosted FODs on princess. We were able to meet some of the crew, etc....

We just returned from our first RCI on the Liberty of the Seas. I was a bit surprised that there wasnt a hosted FOD. Is this normal for RCI? There was an FOD but it wasnt hosted and it was at midnight on the 1st night in the dance club Catacombs.

It's not a big deal but it was nice to have hosted FODs on princess. We were able to meet some of the crew, etc....

I'v been on 30 RCCL cruises and only 3 or 4 times did the ship host a FOD. It's all up to the Cruise Director.

When I was on the Majesty of the Seas in December, there was a self-organized event sign up sheet in the library. We self organized a gathering in the Viking Crown Lounge one night.

It wound up just being me, my traveling partner, and a group of straight girls. haha

I like the fact that Princess has one of the CD staff hosting their LGBT meetings. They have also officially stopped using the FOD moniker from what I was told on my most recent cruise. Many times they have had free sparkling wine for us too.:D

SchplinkyBeyond the free wine, what advantage to hosting the party is there?

Lee, I don't think the advantage is necessarily in what we get (although a free drink is always welcome). I think it's more about the overall message the line is sending. To allow us to meet in a room is "tolerating" us. To have a host waiting there is "welcoming" us. Plus, if you're the first or only arrival, at least there's someone else to chat with, not to mention confirmation that you are, in fact, in the correct venue.

I remember when Tim and I bought the honeymoon package for our first cruise on the Sky (a package we learned about from you, cheers, thanks a lot!), and we went to the champagne & cake reception, we really appreciated the crew member who hosted. She really created an instant party. Now, you and I and our husbands are old hands at these gay meet-and-greets, but I think an official welcome would be beneficial to a first-timer. And I've heard the hosts are often full of shipboard gossip!

By the way, our recent cruise on the Sky was packed with gays. There were 25 to 30 each night at the official gathering (announced every day in the schedule, and nicely timed for 7pm daily), and many more who we met at the pool and in the disco. Needless to say, we had a really fun cruise!

Our solstice cruise was similarly run amok with gays. :) I would guess there were over a hundred onboard. I wonder if the [relative] childlessness of the gay population means that we'reless buffeted by economic trials.

I agree with you that a hosted event is more welcoming but admit to being of multiple personalities on the issue. Will the cruise line host a bible study (no), a mass (yes) or a Friends of Dorothy (sometimes). While I like being valued as a guest, I'm not sure how or where they draw the line. Over on the HAL board, around the time we sailed with them, a woman was very upset because she had organised a group party and the line had given her a room and all but could not provide an officer. It all seemed silly to me.

Don't get me wrong, we'll always attend and a GLBT thing and will request one of we don't see it the first night.

Our solstice cruise was similarly run amok with gays. :) I would guess there were over a hundred onboard. I wonder if the [relative] childlessness of the gay population means that we'reless buffeted by economic trials.

I agree with you that a hosted event is more welcoming but admit to being of multiple personalities on the issue. Will the cruise line host a bible study (no), a mass (yes) or a Friends of Dorothy (sometimes). While I like being valued as a guest, I'm not sure how or where they draw the line. Over on the HAL board, around the time we sailed with them, a woman was very upset because she had organised a group party and the line had given her a room and all but could not provide an officer. It all seemed silly to me.

Don't get me wrong, we'll always attend and a GLBT thing and will request one of we don't see it the first night.

It is a nice gesture and we love the ship gossip. However, we were still able to meet another couple on the past RCI cruise despite not going to a FOD.

Archived