NYC to San Juan - Presidents Week (Feb)

TennisLover

I'm considering a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan for 2008 and am a bit freaked over the airfare from NYC to San Juan (4 of us). We were going to do it this year, but we're going from Miami instead specifically because of the airfare (not that I got great deal from Islip to Florida, but it was less than San Juan).

But I REALLY want to do the Southern Caribbean. So what are the best rates people have gotten from NYC to San Juan for this February? Which airline? Which airport? When did you book?

I prefer NOT to go out of Newark (pretty long ride from here), but I will do it if the airfare is a lot less (and if it's safe and cost-effective to park at Newark -- input on this would be good too).

I'm researching now because I want to book when I'm on-board the Navigator next month.

Please give me some good news about these airfares!

I can't offer insight to airfares, but I can about long-term parking at EWR.

There are many off-airport lots at EWR. All of them are reputable and all cost about the same - $9 or $10 a day with coupon (easily gotten off the web). Most of these lots are closer to the airport than the official "on-airport" lots and cost less to boot! I don't bat an eye at parking at these when I'm flying from EWR.

We did Jetblue to San Juan this past August. I got lucky when they were having a special and managed to get $139 RT. What you should do is watch for specials they have. Unfortunately, I assume you are talking about Presidents week in February from Islip. That is peak season here in NY and they really gauge us on prices. I would also suggest you look at JFK as well as LGA because your choices are limited with Islip. You can't really fly direct there, plus weather really affects that airport badly, even when the other airports are ok.

Back to fares, if you see a deal, but try to key in 4 people, they usually don't have all 4 at that fare. I keep trying the dates and drop the number of people by 1 each time. You will usually find the low price available for 2 people, then book the other 2 as individuals at a different rate. You end up with an average price that is still lower than if you booked everyone together at usually the higher of all rates. This is what I did to end up with an average cost of $139 each.

Hope this helps.

Tennislover, here is what happened to me while booking air for my upcoming cruise THIS President's week out of San Juan. We too were looking for 4 airline tickets from NYC to SJU and ended up flying out of Newark on Continental. Here is what we ended up doing. We booked one way tickets from EWR-SJU as soon as they became available online, which normally is 330 days out. But if you physically type in the date you want and do not use the calendar icon on the Continental reservations web site, you can book tickets 337 days out or in some cases even longer. After securing our one way tickets from EWR to SJU I waited a week and booked our one way return tickets, SJU-EWR. Once again, I had to type in the date I wanted as the calendar icon would not let me click on the date I needed.

To give you an idea of price, we ended up paying $319.50 total cost per roundtrip ticket ($159 EWR-SJU and $160.50 SJU-EWR). Princess wanted close to $600 for their air and you are at their mercy as to what flights they put you on. We got direct non stop flights and at times that we chose. YMMV ;) . Right now you are about 2 months away from the magical 330 day point.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

We also did what Mr.Bill did- booked one way on Continental out of Newark 330 days in advance and I was lucky enough to get $99.00 each way for four of us. You will not see any great sales for President's week. In fact- our flight sold out 10 months in advance so book soon beleive it or not. For four people- it is worth the hassle to fly out of Newark. Forget Islip-no such luck! We only use Islip to got to Orlando at this point since Southwest monopolized the entire airport! We booked a garage off the airport at Newark for $90.00 for the week...

For my cruise this coming April, I booked my flights around mid-July. I also lucked out, and got the $99 deal. With taxes, it came to about $240.

Wish I could be so lucky for my November cruise on the Destiny.

Good Luck !!!

Joanne

• 2 months later...

Here's an update on my question, in case anyone else is considering a Southern Caribbean cruise for next February, during that prime week (President's Week) when the kids are off from school.

I was able to get great rates for Feb 08! About $350 per person round trip. We're going down on Friday night (cruise leaves on Sun) and coming back on Monday (cruise comes back on Sunday). The kids miss only one day of school. We really get to explore San Juan (and get some extra beach time). This is out of JFK - Delta down, American back.

A lot of people say to wait to get better airfares, but you have to know the NYC market. That just doesn't work here, particularly on school holiday. They rake us over the coals. By the way, there are hardly any seats left on the Delta flight on Friday night, so you really can't wait.

And, the rates on Destiny are awesome. It's an older ship but the itinerary is great.

I'm so glad this worked out. My family thinks I'm crazy because of all my research and planning, but they don't complain about their great vacations!

I agree, being from NJ, Newark is really my only option, since JFK and LGA would cost me an arm and a leg to get to. I'm doing the S. Caribbean leaving May 5, and bought my ticket last July. Paid $260 RT with tax from EWR - SJU, and have seen it go up as high as $650, although recenlty it was about $290. At one point, it dropped to about $240, but i am happy with what i got. FYI - Jet BLue is NOT cheaper than a alot of other airlines, at least not from EWR - i've always had good luck with Continental.

Glad you were able to get decent fares, and my friends all laugh at me for plannign ahead, but i saved a lot on the airfare, and when the cruise price dropped, i saved each of us $360....so they shut up pretty quickly!

For future reference, i just left my car at Fast Trak, which used to be Mr. B's - right across from the airport. they offer 8.56 per day, weekly rate, if you book online and pay in advance, or about $9 a day in advance for less than a week. i plan to park there again for my crusie, unless i can find a ride home from the airport....they are RIGHT across 1&9 from the airport, and the shuttle takes you and picks you up quickly.

We did what you did last year. We went down early, on the Friday before our cruise and back on the Monday. We stayed at the Intercontinental in Isla Verde. The kids loved the pool there. If you join the Priority club ($150.00) you pay for 2 nights and get the third hotel night. (when you come back) free. Definately saved us money on the cost of the hotel room. We weren't rushed to get on the ship. Also, the Monday we went back, we got bumped form our flight (only 1/2). We ended up getting $200 back each! I guess they overbook alot of airlines, but it was worth it. We loved the southern carib!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Southern Carribean Feb 06 on the Constellation. Loved the ports. I was going crazy with flights since we would use Albany NY even considered a limo to JFK for a direct flight -- but others in our party said no we booked air with the cruiseline for quite a bit less that I could find. Yes I could have a direct flight from JFK for $600 pp but I then had a 5 hour drive home not what I wanted.

We almost did southen again --but my TA said dont go on the Destiny. I had sailed on the Destiny back in Feb 2000 when she was new -- way too many people and I swore never again but the price was right and loved the ports -- decided against it on our TA advise.

Hope your cruise is great -- The Destiny is Just Too Large for us. We had the misfortune of having 3600 guest the week we were on the Destiny. Lines were horriable.

Hope your cruise is great -- The Destiny is Just Too Large for us. We had the misfortune of having 3600 guest the week we were on the Destiny. Lines were horriable.

We love the larger ships and, although Destiny is older, you can't beat the itinerary.

Here's another update on my airfare situation. I saw someone posted the other day that Delta fares had gone down. So, I checked my fare. Turns out, it is already $100 pp HIGHER than when I booked. The American flight back is also HIGHER now (only $10 pp). So, I told DH how great I did by planning ahead.

I've set his expectations so high, that he was wondering if our cruise price has gone down yet! (This year, in the 4-6 weeks before our cruise, we saved over $1,000 because of all the info I learned about checking price drops on CC.)

Now, I hope others book our cruise so we can get our roll call going.....

We are sick of flying prime time so we booked the 11 day HAL Noordam out of NYC President's Week. 50 minute drive from the house and a great itinerary and fantastic price :)

We considered the Explorer for the same reason, but opted for the trip to San Juan so we can go to islands we've never been to before (and avoid so many sea days, particularly so many cold sea days!). Price actually worked out lower with the option we chose (even with the hotel pre and post cruise).

We considered the Explorer for the same reason, but opted for the trip to San Juan so we can go to islands we've never been to before (and avoid so many sea days, particularly so many cold sea days!). Price actually worked out lower with the option we chose (even with the hotel pre and post cruise).

Yes- the S.Carribean itinerary is nice. Actually the San Juan airport was pretty efficient. Just try and print your boarding passes on the ship when you retrun to avoid the long lines... Enjoy!

Yes- the S.Carribean itinerary is nice. Actually the San Juan airport was pretty efficient. Just try and print your boarding passes on the ship when you retrun to avoid the long lines... Enjoy!

We're flying home on American -- do they have this option? I usually fly on Southwest and always print the boarding passes ahead of time.

Archived