Does Royal Carib. offer bus from JFK to Port Liberty, Bayonne NJ

berbet

I've never heard of any transfers being offered from JFK.

Most people fly into Newark if they are just going the cruise. It costs over $100 for a car service transfer from JFK to Cape Liberty.

Give us more details about what you're considering.

Flights on jet blue are much cheaper including free luggage from home airport. I would prefer to fly into Newark if not so costly. Due to mobility reasons we can't tske a town car or limo. That's why I was hoping for bus transportation. We could take Royal's charter bus from Manchester but it's over. 6 1/2 hrs on the bus not including our drive to Manchester. The bus makes no bathrm stops.

You're talking about Academy Bus? They do have bathrooms on the bus. I've taken it a number of times, but have never used the on board bathroom because they do make stops. At each pickup point there is a rest room of some sort. People have gotten off at the pickup points to use the restrooms. They also make a rest stop on I95 in CT. If you have a car, you're better off leaving from Salem where there is free parking for the duration of your cruise. I will be using Academy again in Nov and Jan. In Nov I will go one way from Worcester and in Jan round trip from Salem. I've tried every way to get to CL except flying, and bus is by far and away the most cost effective.

I met one of the Academy managers on a trip to Cape Liberty last year - she was doing a one day round trip by bus to CL to meet with folks from RCL. I had a chance to chat with her and ask a lot of questions. Why don't you give her a call to discuss your particular needs to see if they can accommodate you? Academy Bus - 800-310-9900 - Ext 3540 - Her name is Rina.

Could you clarify your mobility issues? I'm confused as to why a bus is OK but a town car or limo is not OK.

Edited by 138east

You're talking about Academy Bus? They do have bathrooms on the bus. I've taken it a number of times, but have never used the on board bathroom because they do make stops. At each pickup point there is a rest room of some sort. People have gotten off at the pickup points to use the restrooms. They also make a rest stop on I95 in CT. If you have a car, you're better off leaving from Salem where there is free parking for the duration of your cruise. I will be using Academy again in Nov and Jan. In Nov I will go one way from Worcester and in Jan round trip from Salem. I've tried every way to get to CL except flying, and bus is by far and away the most cost effective.

I met one of the Academy managers on a trip to Cape Liberty last year - she was doing a one day round trip by bus to CL to meet with folks from RCL. I had a chance to chat with her and ask a lot of questions. Why don't you give her a call to discuss your particular needs to see if they can accommodate you? Academy Bus - 800-310-9900 - Ext 3540 - Her name is Rina.

Could you clarify your mobility issues? I'm confused as to why a bus is OK but a town car or limo is not OK.

Hi Carol! Thank you for all the great info. I will call Rina.

Yes, Academy Bus. Salem NH or MA has free parking ? Where is the parking? Is it safe to leave your car for a week there? I called them a couple of months at to ask questions. The man I spoke with told me there are absolutely no stops on the way down for the bathroom as they have to be at pier by 12:30. I asked about getting out when they picked up passengers. He said no. He said on the way home it was up to driver if he stopped anywhere. If they would let me out for bathroom at one of the pickups it would be wonderful and I'd definitely take the bus. Quoted me $106 from Manchester. What is your $ from Salem? Is bus usually full or are there empty seats ?

I have trouble getting in and out if low vehicles,, especially if seat is sift where you sink down into it . Bus seat is higher and firmer.

Salem NH has the free parking. It is right at Exit 2. It's a park/ride run by New Hampshire. I actually drove up there to check it out before I decided to use it. I went up midday during the week and was really surprised at how many empty spaces there were - I was concerned about getting there midday and not having a space.

There is a real bus station with bathrooms, vending machines, and an attendant starting at 4 or 5 am until the evening. Academy bus has arranged to be able to stop there. What you do is to pull up to the station and offload your luggage. You have to register your car with the attendant, provide your license plate number, and tell them how long the car will be there. I think 21 days is the max. They will tell you where the long term parking section is and you go and park your car there. It's a short walk back to the terminal - no worse than a mall parking lot.

I had a good experience there, but I had an unfortunate trip. I parked midday because I was using the Logan Express that stops there to get to Logan to fly to Oregon. I was supposed to do Oregon to Newark to get on the Explorer and take Academy one way back to Salem. Unfortunately, I slipped on ice in Oregon and hurt my back, so none of it happened. However, my husband and son were able to zip up to Salem to retrieve my car.

When exactly are you sailing? The one thing you have to discuss with Rina is the possibility that they will not run the Manchester/Salem service due to lack of reservations. If that happens, you would have to drive to Woburn and pay $7/day to park at the Anderson Transportation Center, which is right off of I93. That is your only option if there are not enough people. That bus will originate in Braintree, go through Boston to Woburn, then out to Framingham, Worcester, Springfield and Hartford if there are folks booked from those locations.

The other thing to speak to Rina about is having them block off the front seats for you. I have been on trips where someone was mobility impaired and the front seat was reserved for them.

Carol, I'll try to call Rina today. It's crazy at work so I may have to wait til Monday

So the Salem lot is monitored? DH worries about vandalism whole we are gone. If there aren't enough riders, they skip Salem stop? Wonder if they skip others? Lots of people on our sailing but no one else has posted that they were tsking the bus.

Good to know they might be able to put me in front seat. And might be able to work w me to accommodate me.

The bus would save us a ton of $. About $800 savings. The bathroom was the only reason I was hesitating. If they would let me out at a stop it would seal the deal. I almost booked airfare yesterday. Glad I waited and posted here and ou replied :) I had suggested we drive but the thought of driving in NY stresses DH.

Thanks again so much!

Just reread your post. So sorry you slipped on the ice in Oregon and missed your Explorer cruise :(

So if not enough riders we would have to get in in Woburn? How safe is that? I do not expect DH will agree to leave vehicle there. I'd hate to have our bus cancelled and it is too late to book air. I bet they don't cancel until pretty clise to sail date?

This is getting too stressful. I was excited to be going out of NJ since closer to home. But you can't get there from here. <in my best New England accent> It's almost easier to fly to Ft Lauderdale.

The bus stop is at the Anderson Regional Transportation Center, which is just off I93 in Woburn. It's a major operation which runs almost 7x24 and has a ton of parking for Logan Express and the T commuter rail and Amtrak. I believe it's run by Massport, so it is a big operation. I wouldn't hesitate to long term park my car there.

They may not cancel until close to the sail date.

If you decide to do this, talk it up on your roll call to encourage others to book. The NH service is new within the last year, so folks may not know it's an option.

I'm sailing in Jan on the Quantum and I will be posting about the service. I'd really like to leave from ?NH and not have to pay to park in Woburn or Framingham.

Edited by 138east

FDue to mobility reasons we can't tske a town car or limo.

Don't be quick to write off town car if the bus does not work out. They are required to provide wheelchair accessible vehicles when you reserve in advance.

From CarmelLimo FAQ: Do you have wheelchair accessible vehicles?

Yes we do. Please call our reservation line to speak to one of our customer service representatives

What about ADA (American Disabilities Act) compliance?

Carmel is proud to be in full compliance with ADA and Visually Impaired Persons Acts.

FWIW

If you really really prefer driving yourself, you don't have to go into Manhattan (or even NYC at all) if you cross the Hudson north of the city. Tarrytown (I-287) or Newburgh (I-84) are easiest. A map book or mapping program should be able to help.

I would not be driving since I prefer public transport, but I don't want to see you dissuaded from it if that would be your first choice.

Beth

Carol: Thank you, thank you. I called Tina at Academy Bus today. She is very nice and was glad to help. She told me that yes, if I needed a bathroom stop along the way that the driver would stop. She told me to contact her right before my trip and remind her and she would personally talk to our driver.

I asked what about cancelations of either the Salem stop or the whole trip if not enough people signed up. She checked -- right now, no one has signed up for our sailing. She said they will not cancel. They are contracted by RCL so they must transport anyone who wants to take the bus. She did say IF there was like only 1 person coming from Salem they might arrange for a car service to pick them up and bring them to the next stop but where there are 2 of us it sounded like they'd still come to Salem to get us. She also suggested Salem rather than Manchester because of the free parking.

I think we are sold on the bus! It will save us so much $. Thanks for all your help and putting me in touch with Tina.

Thank you Brighton Line for your info on Carmel.

Thank you Beth for the suggestion on how to avoid Manhatten. We really don't want to drive ourselves as it is a long trip. But I liked the Newburgh suggestion. We used to enjoy watching Orange Country Choppers on TV and I know they are from there. We could have driven by and checked out their shop.

I think for $110 ea rd trip we will take the bus. It would cost us $200 to park for the week at the pier so for the same price we are saving gas, saving a hotel room the night before, and leaving the driving to someone else.

Carol: Thank you, thank you. I called Tina at Academy Bus today. She is very nice and was glad to help. She told me that yes, if I needed a bathroom stop along the way that the driver would stop. She told me to contact her right before my trip and remind her and she would personally talk to our driver.

I asked what about cancelations of either the Salem stop or the whole trip if not enough people signed up. She checked -- right now, no one has signed up for our sailing. She said they will not cancel. They are contracted by RCL so they must transport anyone who wants to take the bus. She did say IF there was like only 1 person coming from Salem they might arrange for a car service to pick them up and bring them to the next stop but where there are 2 of us it sounded like they'd still come to Salem to get us. She also suggested Salem rather than Manchester because of the free parking.

I think we are sold on the bus! It will save us so much $. Thanks for all your help and putting me in touch with Tina.

I'm so glad you are all set. I thought Rina was very nice and I enjoyed talking to her on the long trip down. What she told you also clears up why I had to get myself to Braintree for the bus. I am a solo traveler and they did offer me free parking in Braintree when they cancelled the Manchester/Salem piece of the trip. I also save a ton of money with the bus service. Sometimes I think I'll just scream if I have to drive to NY again. Unfortunately had to do it twice this week.

Don't forget that you need a few minutes in Salem to register your car with the attendant. Have a wonderful cruise.

Carol: you mentioned registering car and giving license plate number and how long you will be there. You do not have to leave your key with them do you ? Is the long term parking monitored 24/7. You said attendant is only there until evening. We may take a ride down and check it out this weekend

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Carol: you mentioned registering car and giving license plate number and how long you will be there. You do not have to leave your key with them do you ? Is the long term parking monitored 24/7. You said attendant is only there until evening. We may take a ride down and check it out this weekend

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You do NOT leave your keys. You just register your car so they know who is there and you park in the designated long term parking area. I don't know about 7/24 monitoring. I do know I left my car there last Jan for about 10 days with no problems.

You do NOT leave your keys. You just register your car so they know who is there and you park in the designated long term parking area. I don't know about 7/24 monitoring. I do know I left my car there last Jan for about 10 days with no problems.

Thanks!