Single Gay Cruisers

dutchamerican

On my last TA on arrival into America the US immigration service started asking me the usual questions. So you're travelling alone? Guess I was profiled as single male in 30s why would they travel alone.

I was on Epic at the time. I replied, thus ship has 128 "singles" cabins.

To which he could only smile and say "good answer" and stamped my passport!

:D

Just booked my 40th birthday alone on the Gataway on July 12th. I cant wait to spend the day on Maho Beach on St. Maarten.

Im a little nervous since I tend to be quiet and shy which comes off as creepy. I am going to try and shed that personality at the gangway.

I booked a Studio and plan on taking advantage of all the activities they do.

Another positive vote for sailing solo. As vacations go, because cruising has a lot of social opportunities, it's easy to not feel isolated or alone. The only thing that you have to deal with is those who think it's strange, or who are "sorry" that you're by yourself. They've never experienced the freedom that solo travel provides.

The choices that ships offer now give you even more opportunity to be comfortable sailing alone. You can get a large table in the dining room with many people or you can dine solo, as you choose. And the opportunities to meet people on excursions or on other events on board give you all sorts of ways to meet people.

Here's to those of us who appreciate the solo vacation :)

On my last TA on arrival into America the US immigration service started asking me the usual questions. So you're travelling alone? Guess I was profiled as single male in 30s why would they travel alone.

I was on Epic at the time. I replied, thus ship has 128 "singles" cabins.

To which he could only smile and say "good answer" and stamped my passport!

:D

To the "travelling alone" question I've sometimes been tempted to respond: "No, I'm with my right hand," as I hold up my hand.

I can't agree more with all the other posters! Taking a cruise is very social, as everyone is typically excited and relaxed. Whether it's enjoying a meal at a community table, attending a group event, or simply standing in a line, it's so easy to strike up a conversation. And in the very odd chance that you're sitting at a table with a grump or complainer, no worries, as you'll probably never see them again after the hour you spend with them.

Yet for the times you want to be "alone" you can sit by yourself for a meal, curl up with a book in a quiet space somewhere, or put on headsets with your device while doing a Sudoku.... and none of those "alone" things have to be done in the cabin.

Just curious - has anyone gone solo on a ship with open seating dining? I'm thinking about Oceania..but dinner is open seating, no set tablemates, and I enjoy sharing dinner with a table full of conversation.

On my TA last year, a CC member put together a solo traveler table for FOURTEEN!! Not all of us were there every night, but it couldn't have been a nicer or more fun group and we all looked forward to dinner every night.

I went solo last summer on RCCI Freedom of the Seas and had such a great time. I loved the relaxation and being able to do what I want, when I wanted. Met great people everywhere I went. So, now I'm booked and going again on Explorer of the Seas in 2 months.

• 2 weeks later...
I see a lot of gay couples cruising together, but I'll be going on a cruise in january by myself on a royal caribbean ship (yes, you heard right, by myself), anyone else out there has traveled alone or been the only gay/lesbian guy/gal in a group? Any great stories/advice?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm bored at work and can't stop thinking about cruising. lol

I cruise solo allot. I never have trouble meeting people, gay or straight. I've made some pretty good friends on board.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm bored at work and can't stop thinking about cruising. lol

I cruise solo allot. I never have trouble meeting people, gay or straight. I've made some pretty good friends on board.

It's not an old thread as long as we're posting on it! ;)

I agree with you completely. Great way to meet people, can get together with new friends at a moment's notice and often happens purely by accident, and you don't have to answer to anyone. Very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I loved cruising and enjoyed many cruises together. With our outgoing personalities, we were always able to meet many people, both gay and straight. Unfortunately, I lost my partner of 22 years early last year to cancer. I did cruise solo for the first time in January of this year. Just a shorter 4-day California coastal cruise. I needed to find out if cruising solo would suit me or not. I was very apprehensive but booked and went on the cruise. I was happy to find out that cruising alone, doesn't mean you are always alone. I made many new friends and had a very good time. I will be cruising solo again in December on the new Regal Princess. All I can say now is that I'm very much looking forward to it. Of course, I'll always miss my partner, but he'll always be with me in spirit! :)

Cheers! :D

Jay