the baths and VG with a 7 year old?

toriiblanc

Bringing my 7 year old on a cruise with my husband and I in april. Ive been searching excursions for tortola and ive noticed the baths are a must see. Ive also read you must swim quite a distance to reach the beach. My husband and I are strong swimmers but my 7 year old might not be able to make it. If the baths isnt a good trip for a 7 year old.. what else do youi recommend for our day in tortola? Not really into shopping or tours. We like beaches and adventures!

The Baths are definitely doable.

You can take the ferry to Spanishtown, VG and taxi to the Top of the Baths and walk the natural path down to the beach and the Baths.

If you read the thread "Should I do the Baths on my own" you'll find links to the ferry schedules and other info. We recommend going on your own to maximize your time and freedom, but you can also take a ship excursion.

Once on VG we like to hook up with a driver who would be interested in returning to take us on a mini tour of the Valley area (perhaps a view of Savannah Bay) and lunch at the Mineshaft Cafe and their Cave In drink. The driver would then return to take you back to Spanishtown where you can shop and walk to the ferry dock. Or you can just get a bite at the Top of the Baths restaurant. But taxi fares are very reasonable.

Bringing my 7 year old on a cruise with my husband and I in april. Ive been searching excursions for tortola and ive noticed the baths are a must see. Ive also read you must swim quite a distance to reach the beach. My husband and I are strong swimmers but my 7 year old might not be able to make it. If the baths isnt a good trip for a 7 year old.. what else do youi recommend for our day in tortola? Not really into shopping or tours. We like beaches and adventures!

Yeah, that is true, if you go by a private boat or a ship excursion there is a swim involved as the boats cannot land at the beach; as blue_water pointed out, it's doable by ferry on your own and there is no swimming involved. From Spanish Town on Virgin Gorda there is a short taxi ride to the top, where there is a walk to the beach.

Also note that if the Baths are very crowded you can walk back up to the Top of the Baths and walk a short, level distance to Spring Bay. The turnoff is just before you arrive at the Top of the Baths. That offers a similar topography (boulders strewn about) and a good snorkeling area and is much less busy on cruise ship days.

• 4 months later...

We did the Baths on our own and took our 6 yr. old son. He had a blast! He loved climbing the rocks and snorkeling once we reached the beach area. He fell asleep on the ferry back. We got there before the crowds, but was busy when we were ready to leave.