amsterdam -walker/wheelchair

nbevins

i am newly disabled.Only can walk very short distance(blood pressure drops-msa)/...I will rent a scooter for onboard.I probably need wheelchair to exit airport(i would think i can arrange that with airline or could bring mine).Is getting a cab easily gotten(we have been to ams cple times--but no need for cab)and will they go to any hotel?

Cabs readily available in city(we will do hotel for few days and need to go to airport)

we are thinking the norway fiords in june RCL--i know i may be limited but i can see the scenery and go into town

i appreciate any advice

L

For Amsterdam,I would suggest that you consider using a mobility scooter.

I have been to Amsterdam four times, two when I was still able to walk and two on scooters. We took a taxi to the train station once while it was raining; did not want to be wet for our flight home. Other than that time, we always walked or scooted. Most people use the train between town and the airport.

I am not familiar with MSA. If exertion causes your problems, you should not consider a wheelchair unless you have someone to push you around. Whereas, with a scooter, you have the freedom to go where you want. The majority of the sights are within a reasonable distance to do on your own. On one trip we did take the tram to a windmill.

Your luggage might be a problem for you. I only use a shoulder bag and one piece of luggage which I can handle on public transportation (buses, trains, etc). When in open space, I attach the suitcase and tow it. Ruth has a folding rack on her scooter for the suitcase.

In the event you do consider a scooter and wish to take the train into town, you are suppose to notify the train before. As to the time element, that is a lot of guess work coming from the airport and I cannot find an email address, only a phone number. I think they are rather flexible coming from the airport, thus reservations may not be crucial. Going to the airport, you must make reservations.

If you wish to visit the Anne Frank House, please be aware that things are up stairs. If I recall correctly, it is three of four flights of stairs.

Just a little way from the Anne Frank House is the Pancake Bakery; definitely worth a stop.

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

I was in Amsterdam last year for a river cruise. Part of your problems will include those pesky cobblestones in the downtown area of Amsterdam. We arrived in rain and I was scared to death that I would fall because they were so slick. Anne Frank house was VERY difficult due to the extremely steep stairs and they were very short -- hard for me to get my whole foot on them. The canal boats are excellent but it is a little difficult to get into the cabin (down 3 + stairs). There are bicycles EVERYWHERE!! and they often spill all over the sidewalk so that made walking (and scootering) a little more difficult.

The fjords in Norway are wonderful in every single way. I so enjoyed seeing the beautiful scenery from the ship. Some nice excursions but plenty worthwhile to see what is visible from the ship. I think I would take my scooter with me. Europe does not have as many accomodations for mobility as the US IMHO. The towns are so old that it is harder to "refit".

Go for your trips with gusto. I find I do better traveling because it is so interesting and beautiful I forget my problems a bit. One spin around with limits is still lots better than not going!!

Archived