Handicap travel: Seattle Airport - Hotel - Pier questions

drja52

We will be taking a cruise in August and have never been to Seattle. My wife has mobility disabilities, and would be using a wheelchair. Can someone make any recommendations for pre-cruise and possible post cruise hotel stay?

I'm thinking one day before the cruise and also thinking it might be best to stay another night at a hotel on return as it might be too difficult to get to airport in time for a 1PM flight home.

Also, what would easiest transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to pier?

Thanks!!

Back a few years ago when I did this same cruise/itinerary with the MS Cruisers I stayed by the Comfort Inn Sea-Tac Air[prt location.

From your other post I am assuming that your wife can transfer. If that assumption is correct and she will be in a collapsable wheelchair would than suggest just taking a cab to hotel and to pier. Taking the shuttle would require her to walk up steps which might be difficult. Also it's important to note that if a Hotel offers a free shuttle and the shuttle does not have an accessible lift than the Hotel is required under ADA to arrange for and pay for other accessible transportation.

Also suggest that you talk to Carol or Jeff with the MS Cruisers as they can also assist you with Hotel arrangements.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites sea-tac and their accessable rooms were very nice! We pre-booked a transfer to and from the pier with an accessable van, once at the pier there were no problems accessing the ship. Upon disembarking the only problem we had was too much luggage!;)

Easiest transport from airport to downtown hotels is Shuttle Express. They have been very good about accomodating my wife's wheelchair but she is fairly mobile and does not need transfer assistance.

Seattle is VERY hilly and a super challenge for wheelchairs. One hotel that comes to mind that might be less of a challenge would be the Edgewater but it is pretty pricey. Great location litteraly ON the water. And the waterfront area is level and has lot so fshops and restaurants. from there short cab ride to pier (depending on which one, 66 real close, 91 a little ways north).

Otherwise hotels in the airport area will be a LOT less expensive and you can cab/shuttle to pier next day. Were it me and budget allowed I would do Edgewater pre-cruise night and somewhere near airport (with shuttle to terminal) post-cruise.

Archived