Trying to decide what to do...

jensplace

My 17 year old son with autism and I are cruising in March and I am torn on Progreso excursion ideas. Please tell me pros/cons.

First, we are booking through Carnival. I know I will pay more but the peace of mind in not having to worry about wrangling my son if things go wrong is worth the extra money, plus this is our first cruise and I would prefer to minimize any possibly anxiety-inducing situations.

Okay, that said, I think we want to go to the Dzibilchaltun ruins and I am considering the excursion that includes the Rodeo and buffet lunch. I like that it has the ability to swim in the cenote and a buffet included which will make it easier to feed my very picky eater. I think he will enjoy the rodeo as well.

Has anyone done this? Is it well-managed? My son loves to walk around so the extra time at the ruins seems like a good fit.

Other ideas? My son is cognitively impaired and will not enjoy any historical bus tours--he will likely just sleep on the buses.

We have been to Dzib at least 3 times but not done the rodeo. Dzib is easy to get around in and we often leave our official tour and walk around ourselves. When you get by the cenote if you will look to the left there is a small pathway that goes beside a tall, long structure. If you take the path you will discover even more ruins there that they don't always point out on the tour. It can get very hot there so take water with you and a towel if you use the cenote.